Residues of a heart

He felt a hand on his shoulder. He opened his eyes. His mother was no longer there. They had taken her away.

"Ferry, dear ... It's time to go ..."

He looked up and recognized May's mother. He nodded slowly. A few figures were still beside him. Only a few. The others, the unknown ones, were gone. In front of him, broken flowers, dirt, and pieces of ceramic. Among them, a drop of silver, shining between so many dead pieces. He touched it and the drop stuck to his fingertips, cold and viscous. Fairy blood.

He could feel a hand helping him to get up. It was Ben. He showed the blood on his fingers to him.

Ben shook his head and blocked his path, "Ferry ..." he said softly.

"Get out of my way, Ben!"

But Ben didn't move, "Ferry, don't jump to conclusions... I know what you think. But Kian is not the only fairy in this town."

"GET OUT OF MY WAY, BEN!" he said, pushing him out of his way.

At the exit of the greenhouse, he came across Matilda. The girl tried to get close to him. Ferry looked into her sad eyes for a moment. Then he bypassed her and walked away.

He bumped into people and things on the way out. So many people ... What was everyone doing there? He went out on the hot street, at the beginning of summer. The sun burned his skin, and the light blinded him. He ran away from the town. Then he took a flight to the lake. Branches hit him and scratched his face. He could've been seen because he was flying among the branches of the trees and not above them. But he didn't care anymore.

He didn't even realize when he reached the house by the lake. He burged inside. The house looked older and sadder than when he had last seen it. Ferry stepped inside. His footsteps echoed on the creaking, rotten floor. The layer of dust had thickened on the oak table. In its old wood, a new carving had appeared: K + B. Kian and Billy.

He went outside. "KIAN! he shouted. COME OUT, YOU COWARD!"

No answer. Even the wind had stopped. The echo got lost in the distance.

"KIAN! I KNOW YOU'RE HERE SOMEWHERE! he shouted again. COME OUT!"

Still no answer. In front of him, the strong sun reflected in the lake, and the waves of light poured over the tall grass on the shore. The sky above stretched endlessly towards the infinite, with cotton clouds moving slowly toward the horizon. Ferry had never seen anything more beautiful. He fell to his knees, and the tears returned, burning hotter than before.

"Why did you have to kill her, Kian?" he sobbed. "She didn't do anything to you ... She just worried about you ... I swear I'll kill you, Kian," he said with a sigh. "I'll find you, Kian, do you hear me?" he shouted. "And when I'll find you, I swear I'll kill you, you jerk of a fairy."

A flutter of wings nearby made him tremble and stare at the endless sky.