Suffocating Me

"I think you got everything, kitten."

"I'm nervous something is going to happen."

"You know Danny is still going to be here."

"He already has enough to worry about."

"But he loves you like a daughter. You're paranoid something is going to happen, so he's agreed to check here every two days."

"Really?"

"Yes, I got him to do it."

"Thank you so much, Brixton."

"No problem, kitten. Are you ready to go?"

"I feel like something is missing."

"We're going to be here forever if you don't check, huh?"

"Yeah, we are. Dexter and Nick are already in the car, so I'll do it real quick. I swear."

"I'll wait right here."

I duck out from under Brixton's arm as I take one last look around my wonderful home. Nothing seems missing until I see that my computer isn't put away right. Ha. One thing I missed. I walk into the bathroom to see that my toilet seat isn't closed. I know it seems small, but I won't be able to stop thinking about it if it's open. 

Another thing missed. I close my bedroom curtains, straightening everything out, and closing the door behind me. I can feel Brixton's eyes on me as I move cautiously around my house. When I'm completely satisfied, I give Brixton a slight nod. He takes my hand, locking the apartment door behind me as we both walk out.

"See you in two weeks, Mrs. Howard."

Mrs. Howard is my wonderful landlady, and she's super sweet.

"Have fun, Luna! Be safe! And remember to call your grandfather for updates."

She has also decided to call me by my middle name.

"I'm on it."

"Don't be paranoid about your place, okay? It's under strict lockdown, except for Danny."

"Thank you so much."

"Anything for you, Luna."

Brixton and I wave back to her as we exit the building's front door. We can both hear Dexter and Nick sigh in simultaneous relief when I finally get in the car.

"What if I didn't lock my car?"

Dexter slams his head against the headrest, and Nick turns towards me sharply.

"I'm going to murder you if you check that too."

I stick my tongue out at him, but I turn to Brixton for slight reassurance. I know I sound crazy, but I'm just nervous someone's going to take something. I've never been away from my apartment or my car for two weeks. I want to make sure everything is as safe as it can be. Brixton chuckles lightly.

"It's locked. You've already checked three times."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive, kitten."

"I trust you, but if anyone breaks into my car, it's on you."

"Of course it is. Are you ready?"

"I'm ready."

"Fuck yes-" Dexter pounds his fist into the air. "-I'm about to take over this place."

"We're going to three places, honey."