Mama Is Hungry

Vrbo above

Nick smiles at me, while giving Brixton a look I don't recognize. I wonder if everything's okay. What are they going to talk about? I hope it's nothing bad. I bend over the backseat to reach into the trunk. I grab my book, The Secret History by Donna Tartt, and my headphones which automatically start to play Beck's Hyperspace album. Wanting the boys to have privacy, I turn the volume up, so I can't hear what the three of them are saying.

The only thing that clues me into the conversation is how stiff Brixton's body is. The conversation is making him mad. Without saying a word, I slide my hand into his, which calms him down almost automatically. Brixton practically lifts me into his lap and nuzzles his nose into my hair. I keep flipping the pages of the book, forgetting that I'm listening to music, trying not to hear a conversation.

I forget that I'm sitting on Brixton's lap, that I'm on a road trip. That's what I love about reading. Everything just seems to fade away, and I can travel to a different time, world, place. I can go wherever I want to go without having to leave the comfort of my own home. Call me a shut in, but I'm travelling everywhere from the comfort of my couch. I call that smart. Brixton kisses the side of my neck softly. I pull one headphone out of my ear, understanding that he wants my attention.

"Yes?"

"Welcome to Santa Cruz, kitten."

I hear Dexter and Nick talking excitedly outside as they enter the VRBO that we rented for the first three nights. The three boys decided to surprise me with everything, saying I need a break, so I was more than willing to go with whatever they wanted. That means way less stress for me, and them paying for everything, except for gas. I'm paying for all of the gas fill ups and coffee breaks. That's going to cost a hell of a lot of money. With Dexter and Nick who always seem to have coffee in their hand, I can only imagine my bill at the end of this little adventure.

"Are you ready to see the house we rented? I have a feeling you're going to love it."

"It's going to be fucking fancy, isn't it?"

"You know me so well, kitten. Come on."

I unbuckle myself as Brixton opens his car door. I put my headphones and book back where they belong, giving Brixton enough time to walk around the car to open my door for me. For the past two months, it seems like his new favorite thing. 

He justifies it by saying I deserve to be treated like a queen, so I've been prone to let the door opening slide. He closes the Range Rover door behind me and places a warm hand on the small of my back. He speaks to me quietly, but his voice is full of hope that I like the place. Just by the outside of it I know that it's got a luxury feel to it. They didn't have to do this for me.

Brixton opens the front door for me, and I gasp in surprise. He watches me as I walk around the house, completely taken aback by its beauty. Holy fucking shit. This is insane. Dexter and Nick hold each other's hands, goofy looking smiles plastered on their faces. I throw my hands up into the air as I try to comprehend all of this. I shake my head in disbelief as I look around at what the three of them have done for me. I don't deserve this. It's incredible.

"Thank you guys so much. I cannot believe you did this."

Dexter grins back at me.

"You work so hard, every single day, so we thought this would ease your worries about things. We wanted to treat you."

"This is more than a treat, Dex. This is-I don't even know how to describe it to you."

I feel an arm wrap around my waist and a kiss placed on my shoulder. I look up to find Brixton staring down at me intently, and a small blush heats my face. He presses a soft but long kiss on the top of my forehead, bringing me much needed comfort. I could already feel my heart racing with the overwhelmingness of this whole situation.

"No panic attacks, please."

You know those dogs that are trained to protect people and see the symptoms of certain things like seizures, and for blind or any person that needs it, that's what Brixton's like. He can instantly tell when I'm getting overwhelmed or an attack is about to set in, and he can stop it before it even happens. 

I have no idea how that came about. Though I have to admit, it's been really nice. I feel so much more comfortable about doing certain seemingly risky things, like jumping off a cliff or doing things I wouldn't normally do. Brixton's really been my safety net, and that's terrifying.

There are so many things that could happen. I've gotten comfortable and thankful for having Brixton around. I don't need him or have to have Brixton around, but he's made my life better. I was great before him, but he just provides a support in my life that I didn't know I wanted. Brixton stands behind me, his chin resting on my forehead as he starts about where we are going to eat with Nick.

"Kitten?"

With a slight squeeze to my hip, I look up into Brixton's eyes.

"Yes, brown eyes?"

A small smile appears on his face with the nickname.

"What kind of food would you like to eat?"

"Don't care."

"We both know that's a lie. You always have an opinion about food. Where do you want to go?"

"I could eat some pasta right now."

"Italian then. We drove by a Lillian's Italian Kitchen."

Nick nods in agreement, pulling out his phone to look at directions. I look outside at the gorgeous view, and Brixton sways the two of us gently. I giggle as he spins me out of his arms. I stand on his feet as we dance in each other's arms. Brixton sings Love Me Tender by Elvis Presley softly in my ear. I feel eyes on the two of us, making me break away from Brixton's grasp. I look down and start to play with my thumbs.

"I-uh-um-I'm going to use the bathroom and then we can go."

I shuffle my feet backwards before darting into the bathroom. God, that was embarrassing. I splash my face with water, knowing that I don't have any makeup on my face that'll wash off. I go pee real quick just to make my lie not a lie anymore. I don't want anything to come back and bite me in the ass. When I walk back out into the kitchen area, Nick and Brixton are trying to kill each other with death glares with Dexter standing there utterly confused. I clap my hands together which shakes the boys out of their little contest.

"Alright. This mama is hungry."

I don't have to say anything else before the three boys pile into the car. That's pretty much the rest of the Santa Cruz and San Francisco trip. In those two places, I pretty much tell the three boys where we are going next and what we are doing. They said they wanted me to lead everything, so I was into that, and they were troopers. I have to be honest, in San Fran, I did so much shopping I'm pretty sure I broke the bank. 

Though, to be blunt, it's fucking worth it. At least, right now it is. The new clothes I got range from amazingly adorable to sexy to gorgeous, according to Brixton. I got him to sit on the couch (in the hotel we were staying at in San Fran) while I did a runway show like a famous model. Watch out Kendall Jenner. Haha, I'm just kidding.

As of right now, I'm in the passenger seat of the Range Rover, and Brixton had volunteered to drive to Arcata. It's going to be so weird going to such a small town, and the only reason I knew it existed is because L.A. now has a direct flight there. I think the airport is one gate. 

That's really cute. I heard there's also a lot of pot there and lots of homeless too, so I'm pretty clueless as to what's actually there. We have three more hours to go, and I'm bored out of my fucking mind. I have no idea how I'm going to drive the one day long trip home. I've been in this damn car for way too long.

"Brixton...I'm dying over here."

"I'm sorry, but I can't help you with that, kitten."

"We could play twenty-one questions. We each get to ask each other twenty-one-"

"Questions. Yeah, I got that."