ten | the blue & white spirit

Mari rested against the sleeping ostrich horse, her eyes feeling heavier in the hot sun. They had found a new village to rest at, but they had no money for food. So they found themselves begging on the streets. Zuko had his rice hat covering his face in embarrassment as people passed by.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?" Iroh asked holding out his hat.

"This is humiliating. We're royalty. These people should be giving us whatever we want." Zuko said.

"No, we're fugitives. So shut up and beg." Mari said, her eyes still closed. She was tired and in a bad mood.

"They will if you ask nicely." Iroh smiled. Mari tried to tune out Iroh complimenting people passing bye in hopes of a higher donation.

"How about some entertainment in exchange for, a gold piece." Said a man. This made Mari's head perk up right away.

"We're not performers." Zuko grumbled.

"Not professional, anyway." Iroh smiled. "It's a long, long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city they look so pretty" He sang loudly. Mari couldn't help but laugh.

"Come on we're talking a gold piece here." The man exclaimed drawing his swords.

"They kiss so sweet that you really have to meet, the girls from Ba Sing Se!" Iroh sang as he hopped from one foot to the other while the man slashed his sword on the ground.

Zuko looked like he was about to explode, so Mari touched his shoulder softly, giving him a nod not to react.

The man laughed cruelly. "Nothing like a fat man dancing for his dinner. Here you go." He laughed tossing a single gold coin into the hat

"Such a kind man." Iroh said sitting down.

---

It was nightfall and Iroh had set up camp in a cave in the forest just outside the village. Iroh was fast asleep by now, but Mari lied wide awake to her side trying to allowing sleep to come to her. She continued to toss and turn, desperate to drown out the sound of crickets and Iroh's even louder sound of snores, but it was no use. She heard rustling behind her and watched as Zuko arose from where he had been laying, dressed in dark clothing and a hood. He pulled a blue dragon mask from his bag and pulled it over his head.

"I know you're awake." He said, still facing away from her. "So, are you coming."

Mari looked up to him in confusion. "What?"

He tossed a mask at her, along with a hood and black robe. The mask looked similar to the one he was wearing, the same dragon detailing, but it was white, instead of blue. "I'm bored. How about some entertainment." He said, mocking the man from earlier.

Mari got up and put on the clothes and mask Zuko had given her. "I'm only coming to make sure you don't get caught."

Zuko chuckled. "Sure."

The two snuck into the dark village, running on the rooftops silently. "Down there." Zuko whispered. Mari nodded as she crouched down on the rooftop near a dark alley. The man from earlier walked alone quietly.