Adorable Little Kitten

"You're going on a date?"

"Mom?"

"You aren't going to date anyone."

I try to take it off speaker phone, but Brixton glares at me for trying to get him to not hear the horrible conversation I bet is about to happen. I've told him a lot about my parents, but he hasn't heard them talk yet. That only makes them about a thousand times worse.

"God, Reign Luna! We have discussed this a hundred times over. No boys till a medical degree. You are so stupid. You can't listen to one fucking thing I say. Bernard!"

"Yes, sweety?"

"Our daughter has a date."

"Oh hell no. Medical degree first. Then buy a house, get married, make babies."

"Mom, dad. Why can't I do something else with my life?"

On the other side of the phone there's a pause. Then I hear the laughter.

"You really think you can get by on your own without our guidance. That's hilarious, Reign. You are so naive."

"But dad. I want to do something without you guys telling me to."

"We already found out about you leaving the sorority, so you don't get to do anything else. Reign, no boys, no dating, and get a medical degree please. We're practically going bankrupt over here."

"Probably you shop for shit you don't need four times a week."

"Quit the attitude and shut your mouth little girl. You're an embarrassment already. Do what you're told."

"Yes, ma'am. Yes, sir."

"Good. Now get your ass to your lecture."

They hang up the phone, leaving me hanging there. Brixton rubs my back in a comforting way, but it does nothing ease the ache in my heart.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that."

"I'm sorry they talk to you like that. You aren't stupid, alright?"

"Yeah. I don't know, but thank you."

"You aren't, kitten. Do they say that kind of stuff a lot?"

"They don't call me often enough, but when they do call...yeah. That's pretty much how it goes."

"They were right about one thing."

"What?"

"We should probably get your pretty little ass to class. I rhymed. Did you hear that? Ass to class."

He's laughing lightly, but I give him a blank look and a shake of my head. Brixton kisses my neck before taking my hand in his. 

"I have to call Dexter now. I feel so bad."

"I think he'll understand."

"Do you think he'll be mad at me?"

"Kitten. Just call him."

I pull out my phone, dialing Dexter's number as I climb in the car. Brixton actually buckles me while I wait for Dexter to answer.

"Hey, are you okay? You didn't show up. You didn't have a panic attack right? You're good?"

"I'm fine. Brixton stopped by my apartment, and we talked. Then my parents called me. I'm sorry I was late."

"It's totally fine. We do it like two times a week. We're losing money anyway."