12. THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP

PREVIOUSLY

PREVIOUSLY.
Valerie and Zenith talk about what happened between Bentley and Vincent. Zenith claims Bentley pushed Vincent off the school's rooftop out of hatred. However Valerie doesn't agree with Zenith and tells him it all must be a misunderstanding. Later on that day, both Valerie and Zenith meet up in the convenience store. Zenith is in his 'ugly' disguise but Valerie can tell it's him. From their conversation he confesses that he might be misunderstanding the whole situation and that Bentley may not be the one who pushed Vincent.

12 : THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP

first person
VALERIE

BEN SAT ALONE. His earphones were plugged in as he had his eyes closed, he was surrounded by various members of his fan club — they all seemed to be admiring him as they take pictures of him and squeal with their friends. It's impossible. I don't believe what Zenith told me, Ben isn't capable of maliciously pushing Vincent off the rooftop.

I walk towards Ben but before I could walk any further, someone blocks my view. I look up to find Atlas, he shook his head to say no. At this moment, Ben needs someone, why doesn't Atlas want him to have company?

"Don't you think he needs to talk to someone? He looks sad, I don't want him to be sad—" but before I could continue, Atlas simply sighs. As usual, his face was void of any expression.

"I heard from Chandler you let Bentley walk away. I don't think you deserve to talk to him now after what you did yesterday. You're not a fit friend, you're exactly how I saw you when I first met you." Atlas says, his eyes resembled glaciers as his words froze the atmosphere.

Chandler told Atlas that. Why is he telling Atlas that? We're supposed to be getting close to Atlas, so we could provide Silvia with information. Does Chandler really admire his friendship with Ben that he will go the extra mile to support him over me?

"Are you not going to defend yourself?" Atlas questions, his tone seemed to be slipping. I could feel his disappointment.

I shake my head. "I should've walked after him when he told me not to. I guess I'm not a worthy friend like you wanted me to be." I murmur, turning away. It's life. I need to understand that the world doesn't always revolve around me. I'm not a main character, there's billions of people on this planet and I need to understand that other people have feelings too.

"Right." that's all Atlas says before walking past me. Treat people like dirt and others will treat you like dirt too. I deserve it. I almost believed that Ben pushed Vincent off the rooftop and I even let him walk off after Zenith insulted him.

I glance at Ben once more. Am I going to listen to Atlas? Is this another test? I don't want to walk away again, I want to comfort Ben and tell him to ignore Zenith's harsh words. Instead of leaving like Atlas told me to do, I walk towards Ben with a confident stride.