forty three

"So both Matt and Tyler ditched? Leaving all the labor to the women." I scoff at Rebekah's comment, ripping down the feather boas from where they were taped.

I didn't wanna be here. I felt like I had three pound bags under my eyes and I generally was a mess. But I didn't wanna ditch and leave Caroline and Rebekah to work alone. We all knew how they got along.

Not only had Alaric's death been heavy on my mind but the words Esther had said to me had occupied my thoughts as well. She went on about Klaus being a monster. Don't know if I should take it with a grain of salt- she kinda killed Alaric and is a little loco.

Speaking of Klaus, I hadn't seen him or heard from him since the dance which was rather unusual. Something felt so off but I guess he was grieving (?) his mother for the second time. Never thought I'd say that.

I did find myself hoping he would be waiting in my room for me last night or even today. Weird.

"So what happened to our girls night at the dance? Just didn't feel like coming?" I ask, not even turning to Rebekah as I ripped down more decorations from the latter I stood on. Rebekah was below me, steadying it as we talked.

"Didn't you hear? I was possessed by my mother. I have the best luck with high school dances." She says sarcastically making me crack a small smile.

"Less talky, more cleany!" Caroline speaks up, sweeping the floor. I roll my eyes jokingly before climbing down.

"I'm sorry about your teacher by the way. He seemed like a nice guy." Rebekah speaks, quietly. My face softens as I look to her. Was this real compassion. Wow.

"Sorry about your brother and your mom. Even if you disliked them and everything." I trail off. She sends me a small smile.

"I'll go get started on the gym." She announces, before exiting the room.

"You doing okay, Scar?" Caroline asks as I shove the plastic stars that I had just tore down into the bin. I shrug slightly.

"I guess." I mutter. No point in involving more people in my feelings. Caroline had to worry about helping Tyler get unsired- which I really need to ask for updated about. And also Tyler being made by Klaus means he would die if Klaus dies. If that's not stressful I don't know what is.

Before Caroline can question me further- which I could tell she definitely was- theres a loud noise from the hall. We both walk towards it to see Alaric. Who happened to have Rebekah in his grip as well as a white oak stake.

Am I having hallucinations.

Caroline speeds to him and pushes him against the wall by his throat. I watch helplessly (being human really sucks sometimes) as Rebekah attempts to stab him with the white oak stake.

Rebekah zooms out of the school. Caroline grabs my hand and attempts to do the same. When we get to the car she fumbles for her keys, to no avail. The next thing I know I'm out cold.

I wake up to ringing in my ears. I was in a classroom. When my eyes fluttered open they landed on Caroline, who was crying in pain. Her hands where pinned to the desk with pencils and she had a piece of cloth wrapped around her mouth.

"Alaric? What are you doing?"

"What I should have done a long time ago. I should've never allowed you to involve yourself with their kind- I should've been training you to kill them." He explains in a sinister tone before approaching Caroline and removing the rag, burn marks had formed around her mouth. He begins dipping it into vervain.

"Stop!" I attempt to stand, but I'm pushed back into my seat.

"Sit down! This keeps the vervain in her system. It's like inhaling razorblades with every breath." He says, tying it back around her causing her skin to smoke and burn. She lets out small cries of pain.