Chapter 26: Darkness

Castiel reels back, blinking rapidly at whatever he found lurking in the mess that is my soul.

   I blink back, stunned at his reaction. "What? What is it?" I shrink back a little in fear of what he could say, shivering a bit.

   Crowley takes notice of my obvious fear, and he gently wraps an arm around me for comfort, pulling me close.

   Dean opens his mouth, probably to give some sort of protest, but Sam cuts him off with a swift elbow to the ribs.

   Dean's mouth closes, making Sam straighten a little with satisfaction. He turns to Castiel and prods, "Yeah, what is it?"

   His tone is nervous, but it sounds like he's trying to disguise the nerves he feels.

   "I...I..," Castiel splutters, not able to force any other word out. His blinking hasn't stopped, and he takes several steps back.

   "Cas, what is it? What do you feel?" I whisper, tears beginning to prick the corners of my eyes. I don't want to be viewed as something that should be feared.

"Your...your soul...it's..," Castiel stammers, pausing.

"It's what?!" I ask, starting to get impatient. "Spit it out!"

He flinches a little at my frustrated tone, listening to me nonetheless. "It's...starting to become affected by Crowley's evil power. Before, it was still righteous, but now, it's becoming dark. Almost demonic. All of the righteousness that you had is gone now."

He approaches me again, and flinches once more. After that pitiful gesture, he steps back again. "And the power that you're radiating is enough to cause an angel physical pain. You're becoming stronger."

I take a few seconds to process the information that was just given to me.

I have a soul that's close to being demonic?

That is obviously not what I want!

"But...she can have a soul that's close to being demonic without it changing her personality...right?" Crowley asks.

Despite the question, his tone says that he already knows the answer: no.

Castiel thinks for a second, still seeming slightly bothered by the energy I'm giving off.

"I suppose she can," he responds. "It will be very difficult for her to do, though. Soon, there will be urges. Urges to kill, torture... All of the things that the stereotypical demon does. And, if she can learn to fight those urges, and not do any of those things, her personality will remain the same.

"But, if she does kill or torture, she'll become bloodthirsty. Her personality will morph into that of said stereotypical demon. She won't care about anyone but herself, and she'll kill and hurt people constantly. Just for the thrill of it."

He glances at Crowley. "Even you."

My heart drops to my feet. I look up at him, too, and his expression is impossible to read.

"So, it's like the Mark of Cain, then," Dean pipes in, raising an eyebrow.

I've heard stories of said Mark before. It sounds like a nightmare to manage. And to think of myself going through that...

"Those two things are quite similar, yes," Castiel answers, nodding his head slightly.

Dean huffs, running a hand down his face. "Awesome. That's...freaking awesome."

I then have an idea.

"What if my and Crowley's relationship wasn't official?" I ask. "What if we broke up, but still acted like how we act today? It's a relationship without the label, and isn't the label what brings the powers in?"