13|THE WHY

"FORMER WORLD YOUTH CHAMPION, CHRISTOPHER ALDERIDGE, DID IN FACT QUALIFY FOR THE NATIONAL TEAM BUT HIS POSITION IS UNDER REVIEW AS EVIDENCE OF DRUG USAGE HAS SURFACED

"FORMER WORLD YOUTH CHAMPION, CHRISTOPHER ALDERIDGE, DID IN FACT QUALIFY FOR THE NATIONAL TEAM BUT HIS POSITION IS UNDER REVIEW AS EVIDENCE OF DRUG USAGE HAS SURFACED..."

Courtney stood by his door whilst he stood by his desk on the opposite side of the room. They made no effort to move towards each other.

Christopher had changed into a pair of grey sweatpants and a black t-shirt while Courtney was still wearing her black fitted long-sleeved dress.

As soon as she entered his room, she muttered the words, "It was me." Not a single word had been said since.

Christopher was annoyed, angry, fuming. Even with all of this pent up anger he felt towards her, he had to admit that she looked beautiful stood in his room.

"I'll be leaving soon," she said and he looked up at her. "I can't tell you where," her heart was breaking as she looked into his eyes. What if this would be the last time?

"Why? Why do this?" He was confused.

"You need to get better. I couldn't sit there and watch you deteriorate! I've never been with anyone as good as you, as caring as you, but I can't do this. My father got my mother into drugs, he's gone but she's still here suffering somewhere. I don't want to watch you fall like that. You're too good Christopher, I care about you too much," Courtney had walked further into the room.

Christopher sighed and rubbed his face with his hands. "I was so angry when they took me down. I hated the person who found out. I hated you," his voice broke at the end.

"I know, I'm sorry." What else could she say?

"Seems like we're all dropping like flies, only Mél and Silas left. Did you have anything to do with it?" He asked but she remained silent and he took that as her answer. " I already know the answer."

Courtney walked over to Christopher and stood a couple of steps away from him. "No point in lying to you now."

"Why go through this trouble? I can't imagine it was easy."

She chuckled, "Nothing in life is easy, Chris." There was a pause. "Do you know my last name?"

He looked at her as if she was crazy. Of course he knew her last name, "what, Jackson?"

She shook her head, "It's Phoenix."

Christopher's eyes widened in realisation, "as in Samuel Phoenix?

"The one and fucking only," she spat bitterly.

"Then why do you have Jackson?"

"They gave me and my twin sister away because we didn't have a dick dangling between our legs," she spoke bluntly. "Apparently only boys are good enough to take over a business."

Christopher was taken aback. "So there's someone walking around looking exactly like you?"

"No, we were fraternal twins and she got given to a different family."

"But that doesn't explain why you decided to go undercover ape shit on us."

Courtney turned her back. "At first," she began, "I hated how you all walked over me like I was nothing. Like I was everyone else." Unless you were the Big Six, they didn't even care what colour hair grew from the top of your head.

"When in reality I held a name worth more than yours combined. They'd have a heart attack if they knew who I was and how they treated me. Then the Penny Kline incident happened." Christopher grew stiff at the name as Courtney walked further away.

"And I knew that a couple of you six knew what happened. I just needed to figure out who." Courtney finished.

"What's your sister's name?" He asked.

Courtney smiled up at him as she neared the door. "You're a smart guy, babe," and then she left.

Christopher sat down on his unmade bed. He laid down with his hands in his hair and sighed, "Penny Kline."