11|HITMAN

(Seven months ago)

(Seven months ago)

Gone were Courtney's long brown strands. They were concealed underneath a platinum blonde wig that was cut as her chin. The blonde brought out the blue contacts placed in her eyes and a fake piercing was positioned on her left eyebrow.

Not that she would be recognisable to anybody, considering she was a nobody, but she had to take these precautions to protect her identity in the future otherwise her plans would be ruined.

Mélissandre was sat on a grey, stone bench in the park. The floor lights dimly lit up the park as very few people walked the paths.

Mélissandre was hunched over, her shoulders heaved up and down as she tried to control herself. The tears broke through and rolled down her cheeks. She saw a pair of grey boots in front of her and looked up to see who stood before her.

"What's wrong?" Of course, Courtney knew but she had to get the conversation started.

Mélissandre quickly dried her wet eyes, aware that a stranger was trying to know her business. "I don't know you," she stated as any other normal human would.

"I asked a crying girl what's wrong, I didn't ask you to hop in my car," Courtney took a seat next to her and waited for her to break.

She let out a deep breath, "My parents are forcing me to marry a guy older than my dad. They say it will boost their name in society in France, or wherever, but I don't fucking care. He's a misogynistic bastard who can't keep his thoughts or wrinkly hands to himself." There was no way that Mélissandre was going to be forced into something she didn't want. She always fought back. Always.

"And your parents are still allowing this?" Courtney asked, acting as if she was interested.

"My whole family, even grandparents. They're very backwards and they don't care about my opinion. They wouldn't hear it if it slapped them in the face," Mélissandre grunted in frustration. "The things that they've put me through is enough to make me want to kill them."

Courtney's ears perked up. Maybe this conversation wasn't a waste of her time.

"Are you being serious?"

"If you're the daughter of a police officer, it was a figure of speech. If you're a psycho, deadly serious," she choked out a laugh.

Courtney's plan would only work if Mélissandre was to say yes. "What would you say if I knew someone?"

Mélissandre cocked an eyebrow and did a once over on Courtney.

Did she know someone? The blonde wore a rugged, black leather jacket and black ripped jeans. Nothing about her screamed money and therefore, Mélissandre concluded that she was from the opposite walk of life. "I'm listening."

"I can hook you up with a guy, he can get the job done and he's very good. Are you still interested?" Courtney smirked, her red lips pulling on her face.

Mélissandre nodded her head with no hesitation. Courtney knew how feisty the french brunette could be.

"I'll have him contact you shortly," Courtney stood up from the cold seat.

"You don't even know how to contact me," she said confused.

"One, I don't know you're name and you don't know mine. Two, I know a hitman yet you're concerned that I don't know how to contact you. Three, again, I know a hitman, pretty sure I can find a way to contact you."

"True, I guess," Mélissandre mumbled and also stood up as she decided that it was getting to cold to stay out longer.

"You have to do something for me," Courtney said abruptly.

Surely Mélissandre didn't think that she was going to get a hitman for free?

"Of course, what do you want? A new bag? Shoes? Surgery?" Her eyebrows creased as she studied Courtney's nose.

Courtney bit her tongue to stop herself from saying something that could ruin what was about to happen. "You know about Penny Kline?"

"The girl that disappeared?" Everyone knew of Penny Kline but very few knew what happened to her.

"What if I told you that she didn't disappear?" Courtney watched Mélissandre's face contort into one of fear, disgust and sorrow as she left no detail covered.

"What?" The tears prickled at her eyes again and she felt the ball of bile in her stomach move up to her throat.

Courtney knew that she had Mélissandre wrapped around her finger after that. She would do anything she asked.

"When the time comes, you'll receive a note with a date written on it along with a name. You will kill whoever's name is on the note. If you don't, it won't matter that you've killed all your family, I'll personally plan the wedding myself." With that, Courtney left Mélissandre alone in the dark with nothing but her thoughts.