Chapter 21

"Morning." I chirp, setting a cup of iced coffee on Zuckerman's desk. He raises a brow, suspiciously eyeing the cup.

"You must be in one of those rare, good moods," He observes, carefully taking a sip. "Or you poisoned the caffeine."

I roll my eyes, drinking my own. "It's safe, don't sweat it."

"So what's up with the 'happy camper' getup?" He waves in a group of students before focusing back on me.

I shrug. "Nothing, but..."

"But?"

"It's pumpkin carving night." I say excitedly, bouncing on my heels.

Our pumpkin carving night has been a tradition for the past seven years. At first, it was just us–Leo, Dad, Mom, and I. But then freshman year came around, welcoming Haisley and the Zuckermans. Then Ryder, Zayden, Marcheline, Emery, and a couple of Leo's friends.

Tonight will be the one night where everything feels normal; like the good old days.

"Oh yeah, that old thing." Zuckerman jokes. "I totally forgot about that."

I scoff. "Please tell me you're bringing Bren and the kettlecorn on time."

"Of course, Char." He ruffles my hair as he stands. "I could never let my favorite girls down."

We all know Brenda would kill him.

I gnaw on my lip. "And will you be there next week?" I whisper.

His brows furrow in confusion before he offers me a sad smile. "I wouldn't miss it for the world. Bren and I will be there with the extra blankets and chocolate."

I nod. "Thanks."

"Of course, Kiddo." He smiles one last time before greeting his class.

Sighing, I grab the stack of papers and a red pen off the corner of his desk, figuring I owe the poor guy a favor. Glancing down at the first paper, I groan.

This is going to be a long period.

❂ ❂ ❂

When the last bell of the day rings, I practically run through the halls. Despite my hastiness, hushed voices coming from underneath the stairwell catch my attention.

"So, do you finally want to tell me what's really going on between you and Zayden?"

I suck in a breath, completely stopping in my tracks, at the sound of Emery's voice. How I had the luck of 'running' into them, I have no idea.

Marcheline sighs, "I've already told you, there's nothing going on between us."

"March, do you think I'm stupid?"

There's a pause. "You're not stupid."

"Mhm," Emery hums. "Then don't lie to me because I'm not blind either."

"There's nothing romantic going on between us, Em. I don't, and never will, like him like that." Marcheline states.

"Fine, but can you tell me what's really going on then? Don't you think your sister deserves the deets?"

"Look, if I tell you, you can't tell anyone okay? Especially Charli."

My stomach sinks as I shift to hear them better. I would hate for this to be one of those 'curiosity killed the cat' moments.

"Okay." Emery agrees cautiously. I quickly glance over the railing, but I can barely see either of them.

"Zayden had gotten into another fight that night. He went out to another party, drank too much, and punched some asshole. He didn't want to worry Charli, so he came to...me. He was so out of it so I made him sleep over. Mom found out in the morning, and ended up making him stuff for his hangover." Marcheline admits.