Taking Flight

"So... when are we doing the mission?" Alice asked.

"I'm not sure. We have to locate the thieves first."

"Alright."

"I'll go ask Claire." Arlo began to stand up.

"Yes. Please do that."

Arlo walked towards the door.

Just as he reached for the handle, someone opened it first.

He found a soldier on the other side.

"Hello."

"Sir. Where's General Gale?"

"Right behind me."

"Excuse me."

The soldier quickly stepped around him.

"Sir, there's another attack from Vaequiles occurring as we speak."

What?

"Another one? It hasn't even been a full week since their last attack!"

Arlo rushed out the door and ran out of the gates of the command post.

No...

It was true.

He could see the soldiers fighting from there. They were practically right in front of them.

About one and a half miles away from the gates, he could see the army rushing in.

"Soldiers, defend the land from the Vaequilians as much as you can!"

Arlo looked around to see if the Vaequilians were pushing the entire border.

Thankfully, they weren't. They were only invading one section of the border.

Why would they only attack one section? Why not the entire frontline?"

Several soldiers quickly ran out of the gates to head towards the ones that were already fighting off the Vaequilians.

This is bad...

Alice landed beside him, horseback, and she was now brandishing a spear.

"Wait, the pegasus knights are armed?" Arlo asked as he realized the others were holding spears too.

Alice guided the pegasus next to Arlo with ease.

"Of course. Get on, it'll be faster this way."

Arlo quickly climbed on and attached a belt from the saddle to his gear.

"This is pretty high already." he looked down at the ground, chuckling nervously,

"Sure."

She swiped the rope that was on the pegasus and they flew up into the air.

"Woah!" he cried, swept back by the wind.

"Sorry if this makes you dizzy, we gotta get there as quickly as possible."

"Wait-"

Before he knew it, they were piercing the air like an arrow, along with several other pegasus knights.

He held onto the belt like his life depended on it.

"This isn't terrifying to you?" Arlo yelled. The wind made hard it for him to hear his own voice.

"Not a problem for me!" she yelled back.

Arlo yelled in excitement as they bolted towards the frontlines.