Chapter Five

I'm very annoyed. It might be because I haven't slept properly in a week. It might be because my father won't stop giving me shit for taking one fucking punch. It might be because the Asesinos are definitely planning something and I need to figure out what.

It might be because I'm still thinking about her. Laura.

Something about her completely undid me. Never mind the internal battle I was fighting in her proximity, but I stupidly blurted who I was before she walked away. Why did I tell her my name was Raze? The public was only supposed to know me by Greg. She is part of the public. Why did I offer the truth about myself? She can do anything with that information and I don't know her nearly well enough to guess what she might be up to. Maybe she doesn't care but maybe she looked into me and that poses a problem. A very large one.

I have to find her.

It's why I assigned Mitch with the task a couple of days ago. It's been a week since I saw her and I'm getting impatient. You can find out a lot about a person in one week, if she's interested enough that is. Again, I don't know her nearly well enough to say. And since Mitch is doing this for me solo it's taking longer than it normally would. He is the only one I trust to get this done. If anyone else in the South Bloods discovered I'd taken an interest in this woman, she may as well be done for. I'm surprised at the surge of protectiveness that fills me at the thought.

Business as leader has kept me busy or I might have gone out of my mind by now. Taking care of shipments has been top priority since the ambush a year ago. Losing our men has brought us all on edge. Things are tense as I lead my team toward the docks to collect our latest cargo. Everyone is on high alert as we scope out our surroundings, our weapons in hand and ready for a fight. We will not be caught by surprise again.

I bring my fist up to signal them to stop and my men oblige. With hand gestures they've long since memorized, they follow my silent instructions to spread out. They take their assigned spots hiding behind the large crates and guns at the ready. I meet Byron's eye and he nods to let me know he has me covered.

With my gun tucked in the front of my jeans, I loosen my tense shoulders and make my way to the walkway where the boat is docked. I'm on edge, but the Vice Lords can't see that. We've never done business with them before but they had something the South Bloods have been looking for so it's a risk I had to take. My men are prepared regardless.

"Mike?" I call out the leader by name when I reach the boat. It's small in size so it doesn't take long to spot him rounding the corner, box in hand. A woman is with him and she holds a second box. I bend down to hold the boat by the edge while they step off to balance the weight and straighten up as they set the boxes down. "That's everything?"

"It is," Mike confirms. He points to the woman. "This is my wife, Nora."

I tip my chin. I don't give a fuck but clean business is the best business so I offer my respect. I dismiss them both just as quick as I crouch down, retrieving my knife from my boot to open the box.

"Woah," Mike waves a hand. "There's no need for that. It's all in there, boss."

I don't so much as blink. "Then you wouldn't mind me checking."

He must see the threat in my eyes because he takes a step back and gestures for me to go on. He doesn't look like the kind of man cut out for this life. He's too...pretty. And he won't stop scratching his arms so it doesn't take a genius to guess he's an addict. Probably some punk that got a taste of this life and thinks he's fit to be a leader now. I'm not impressed and I already know I won't be doing business with them again.

I get the box open and it reveals several packets stuffed to the hilt. I whistle with my teeth and Byron comes out from behind one of the crates, gun visible in hand.