Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"I don't think I'm gonna get the job," Isaac sighed, arm linked through mine. He had his eyes downcast and kicked at a rock on the sidewalk. "I don't think Harry liked me very much."

I didn't look at my friend as we continued to walk down the street and back toward the apartment. My heart ached for him. I wanted to tell him that it wasn't true and that I was sure Harry loved him, but I couldn't say that. The truth was, I wasn't sure what Harry's final thoughts on Isaac were. I wasn't even sure if he was actually considering him for the job at all or if this had all just been one big ploy so that he could see me again.

If it had been any other company, any other interviewer or just anybody other than Harry – Isaac would for sure have the job locked down. I mean, he was excellent. He was great at talking to people, knew exactly what to say, and did thorough research. He's passionate about his field, anyone could see that – they would be lucky to have him.

I was really hoping that it was the same for Harry.

"Isaac, you don't know that. I think it went really well," I tried to will my voice into sounding cheery, but I knew it came off more dejected than anything.

Isaac scoffed. "C'mon Em, you saw how he was. I tried everything to show him how much I really wanted this, and he wasn't having any of it. He got worse as the night went on."

That much was true. After my altercation with Harry in the bathroom hallway, he kind of just shut down. He was livid, not even bothering to act like he was even interested in what Isaac was saying anymore. We left shortly afterwards when Ty and Luke had let us know that Harry would reach out after the man himself had stalked off somewhere and left the four of us at the table alone for the better part of fifteen minutes.

I squeezed Isaac's upper arm as we turned the corner.

"We'll just have to wait and see I guess," I said with a small sigh. "I hope that you get it. Don't let Harry get you down... Ty and Luke definitely saw how great you were."

"Ty and Luke aren't the company owners. Their opinion is about as good as yours," Isaac snapped. I bit my tongue. "Sorry," he breathed a second later. "I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just frustrated. It's hard when you want something so badly only to feel like you're never going to have a chance no matter how great you are."

"I get that, I do. I don't know why he was so rude to you tonight; he wasn't like that when we met the first few times. I mean, he was annoying but not a complete asshole," I said, thinking back to the handful of arguments I'd had with Harry.

"Probably because he wants to fuck you, May," Isaac said with a clipped laugh.

I swatted his arm. "Isaac!" I muttered.

"What? You know I'm right," My friend said, still chuckling. "I might have even had a chance if you weren't there tonight. All he did was look at you."

For some reason, my heart lurched at his comment. I chose to ignore it, thinking maybe it was heartburn.

"He's a dick, anyway. It doesn't matter if he was looking at me or not," I replied. We had arrived in front of the apartment building and I turned to face him. Isaac no longer looked upset, but almost worried. "What's wrong?" I asked at his sudden change in expression.

"Are you going to see him again?" Isaac asked, his eyes boring directly into mine.

I paused, opening my mouth before closing it again, trying to think of how to respond.

"I don't see why I would, especially if you don't get the job." I finally replied. Isaac's expression of worry didn't seem to lessen. He walked a few steps forward and took my hands in his. I frowned, unsure of what was going on.