𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

chapter 11, you are worthless

Reese went home that evening thinking about the events of that day. One, she could've died, two, JJ risked his life saving me and three, she almost kissed JJ Maybank.

"What's up bitch." Tyler said as the girl entered the house. She groaned locking eyes with her brother.

"Tyler." she said annoyed by his presence alone.

"Where were you?" he asked.

"Cameron's" Reese responded, why did he even care she thought to herself.

"You fucking the Cameron boy yet?" Tyler seethed.

"What the fuck? Rafe?" she asked stunned by his question.

"Yeah" he paused now looking at the girl who was sincerely confused. "You're telling me that you and Rafe Cameron aren't like a thing?"

"Ew no." Reese responded she'd never thought of Rafe that way but suddenly her memory was rocked by moments where Rafe had been intimate with her. Reese knew that's what everyone had always thought, her parents, the Cameron's, even the rest of the Kooks, waiting for the moment the two would walk out at Midsummers and announce their engagement but the two friends always shot down the rumors and Reese never liked the idea of Rafe Cameron being anything more than her best friend.

"Whatever you say." Tyler responded.

"Where's Mom and Dad?" Reese asked.

"Outside I think." Tyler spoke.

Reese proceeded outside joining her parents at the patio table.

"Reese." her father spoke sternly.

"Uh..Dad?" Reese asked confused by his tone.

"Where were you today?" her mother said interjecting.

"Uh, Tannyhill." she said, they didn't know did they?

"Well Ward said you left two hours ago and you're just getting home." her father said sternly.

"Oh I took a detour to go surfing." she lied.

"Don't lie to me!" her father shouted slamming his hand on the table. Grace Carmichael let out a soft gasp flinching at the outburst.

"I'm not lying!" the girl shouted back.

"Reese, you are a prized young girl in this town. You cannot be selling yourself short. You should be home promptly after you're with friends, you know the exceptions we set." Her mother continued.

"The unreal expectations." Reese said under her breath.

"What?" he father spat walking closer to her.

"Nothing." Reese said quietly.

"No!" he shouted. "If you're going to backtalk me please say it to my goddamn face" he yelled now close enough to wear particles of spit were hitting her face. Reese's body stood frozen like a statue as tears started to prick her eyes begging to be let out.