Chapter 16

Ares's POV

"Are you sure that they were sent by Poseidon?"

"They had gills and turned into sea foam when I killed them. They bled gold." I leaned back against the seat, feeling far more irritated than before. After I had put her to sleep, I had called to the other gods, knowing that most of them were awake. Artemis was currently watching over her now, having gotten her belongings.

"You do know why there are so many gods coming after her, right?" I clench my teeth at Apollo's words, my aggravation growing.

"I do." She was going through all this because of me. After the spectacle that Zeus made, calling all of the gods to Olympus, it would be strange for the curiosity of them to not come through. Along with the fact that rumors of her being involved with me began circulating after Eris thought that it was a good idea to attack her.

Crazy bitch.

The sudden interest of the other gods wasn't just from curiosity though. It seems as if they've already found out that she was someone important since she's been already seen with the Olympian gods.

Not to mention her presence always being around mine. Which meant that they would've connected the dots far faster than I was comfortable with.

"All of your enemies are going after her to get to you." I frowned at his claim, exceptionally annoyed. All these pawns coming after her, thinking that she meant something to me.

Did she...?

"They should know better," I growled, shoving the mere idea of it away. Me? Caring for a mere mortal? I have to pay Atlas a visit soon, maybe it was his scheming tricks. Apollo raises an eyebrow at me, before shifting to grab his phone. "I thought that I set an example with the Furies."

The fact that these random Gods thought that they could get to her pissed me off.

"But things are changing. Olympians are starting to get involved. Didn't Mia say that Aphrodite also appeared?" Aphrodite.

I frowned at the very mention of her name. It was obvious that the two of us didn't have a good relationship since the beginning, but having her personally go...

"The Furies weren't planning on stopping," I say, more to myself than to Apollo. "When I got there, I could already feel the levels of blood lust that they desired. They knew that she was helpless and couldn't help torturing her along the way." I've done my fair share of breaking bones and tearing skin, but never without cause. To go after a human, who can barely defend themselves against another mortal, was an all-time low.

It infuriated me.

To think that they could touch what was mine, even after hearing about her from Eris. And they knew that I was going to the Underworld. Are the Gods sincerely underestimating me this much?

"What are you going to do about it? At this rate, she'll die before the prophecy itself even gets fulfilled." The God of the Sun inquires, tilting his head at me.

"The girl won't die." My voice takes on a harsher tone than I intended, the words leaving my mouth before I could comprehend them. The hostile and utterly possessive tone surprises me, but I shrug it off by plastering a smirk on my lips. He narrows his eyes at me. "With Poseidon's interest, the tides have shifted. No pun intended."

"You are so difficult to deal with when you get into that facade." A true smirk tugs at my lips when he says it, knowing that it always got on his nerves. Another perk of being feared.

Yet, what Apollo was saying was true. Far more powerful gods are being pulled in, Hades, Aphrodite, and now, Posideon. All three were Olympians, and all three could cause some serious wreckage. Two of which owe me a favor, and the other I would rather not look at ever again.