three

(Y/N) POV

The past few days had been quiet and peaceful aboard the Temeresi. Most of the trip was us in the case while Newt tended to the creatures and taught me more about them.

"Ready to see New York?" Newt asked as he walked up beside me, case in hand with a grin on his face.

"More than ready," I replied with a large smile on my face as we walked off the boat to customs.

"British, huh?" The security man asked as he held up our passports to examine if the faces matched.

"Yes," we both responded.

"Anything edible in there?" The man gestured to Newt's case with his head.

"No," Newt responded shyly.

"Livestock?" As the man asked this question, one of the clasps on Newt's case flipped open. I can almost bet it was Dougal.

"Must get that fixed," Newt flicked it shut before replying to the question. "Ah, no."

"Let me take a look." With that Newt lifted his case to the table making sure to flick the muggle worthy switch.

"Welcome to New York," the man handed back his case and we walked through customs to the city that awaits.

----------

"This great city sparkles with the jewels of mans invention! Movie theatres, automobiles, the wireless, electric lights. All dazzle and bewitch us!" The sound of a lady protesting filled around the front of a human bank.

"So sorry," Newt had bumped into a lady as we were passing through. We continued before stopping at the front of the crowd to see what was going on.

"But where there is light, there is shadow, friend. Something is stalking our city, wreaking destruction and then disappearing without a trace." Getting closer it was easy to see what she was blabbering on about. The banner displayed a hand snapping a wand. She was a salemer. The muggles used to burn our kind, that's why we have gone into hiding. "Listen to me. We have to fight, join us, the second salemers, in our fight!" Newt and I simply looked at each other. Only taking my eyes away from his when a man stumbles over the case.

"So sorry, my case." Newt apologises.

"No harm done," the man shrugs it off with the wave off his hand before scurrying off once more. "Excuse me!"

"You, friends!" The second salemer points towards us. "What drew you both to our meeting today?"

"Oh, we were just passing." I answered, this is like those times you zone out in class and then the teacher calls on you to answer their question.

"Are you seekers? Seekers after truth?"

"We are more of chasers really," Newt lifts his head from the ground when something catches his attention. He nudged me with his elbow and gestured his head towards the niffler stealing a hat full of coin.

"Hear my words and heed my warning and laugh if you dare. Witches live among us!" The salemer exclaimed bringing us back into the conversation. "We have to fight together for the sake of our children, for the sake of tomorrow! What do you say to that, friend?"

"Excuse me," Newt picked up his case and took my hand into his tugging me along into the bank.

"Can I help you? Sir, ma'am?" One of the bank workers had walked up to us.

"Ah, we're just waiting." Newt responds, large hand still holding mine.

"Very well," the man walks off leaving us to our own devices.

Newt and I look down to our intertwined hands before looking back up into each others eyes, quickly pulling away, arms back to our sides.

"S-sorry," Newt looks away scratching the back of his head.

"No its fine," I look at my feet, tapping the front of my shoes together. "We should probably find the niffler." I picked my head back up to look at Newt.

"Yes, we should."

Together we sat down beside the same man that had stumbled earlier over Newt's case.

"So, what are you two here for?" He asked, appearing to be highly nervous. Newt's distraction caused a peculiar answer out of him.

"Same as you." My eyes snapped to Newt, eyebrows furrowed.

"You're here to get a loan to open up a bakery?" The American man bewildered by this.

"Yes"

"What are the odds of that?" He looks at me, I simply shrug as a response.

"Well, may the best man win, I guess." He holds his hand out for Newt to shake. Without shaking his hand, Newt grabs his case and hurries off spotting the niffler in the distance, me quickly following behind.

"Excuse us," I smile. "The little bugger is going to be the death of me," I chuckle catching up to Newt.

"As he will me," Newt laughs with me.