Chapter 6

The ride back to the palace was, let’s just say, eventful. The three sisters rode in a carriage while Francis road beside me and my men. Women of all ages, married or single, gave him looks of wonder, desire, or both. With all honesty, I couldn’t blame them. He was a sight to behold, but the look of his face is going to keep an army of both land and sea at bay.

     As of now, Francis and I strolled through the Portraits Hall with the others trailing behind at a distance. I pointed out at some of my ancestors plastered on the walls, gaining a nod and a smile while his eyes gazed upon them. My thoughts began to linger until he asked me something.

     “Are you afraid?”

I stopped in my trail, turning slightly towards him.

     “My dear Francis the world we live in is always filled with things of danger, people to fear. If one thinks that there is a chance of pure peace, then they are delusional. But do I wish for a world of peace and serenity, oh most definitely,” I said, looking at him with a faint smile. “And you, does anything put fear into the heart of the Dragon’s son?”

     “I am afraid of what the future holds, really. I am afraid for what people might do to my family and those whom I have affection for,” he replied.

     Francis extended me his arm, which I took, and we continued to walk down the Hall, closer and closer to the portraits of my family. It gave me an odd sensation as we walked closer, for it felt as I was pulling myself closer to the life I once had, the life of Princess Eleanor. But I am no longer a little girl, well actually, I never was a little girl who dressed up. I was a little knight, as my father would say.

     Noticing we were in front of the portraits of new, I began to speak. “That,” I said, pointing to that of Darien, “is my brother, our enemy. Over there, is the Queen Mother, Katarina. And two the left is my father, Richard the Wise, and then myself.”

     Francis looked in interested over the portraits, his eyes lingering between the four. He seemed to observe the way we looked, our eyes, our hair, our faces.

     “You have Richard’s eyes,” Francis finally, spoke, looking back at me, making my stomach seem to flutter. “But it doesn’t appear that Darien –“

     “Has any of my father’s features, I know” I interrupted. “Everyone has told me that, even my Lord Buckingham.” And they were right. I inherited my father’s dark hair and eyes but Katarina’s nose. Yet my brother had her eyes and supposedly my father’s dark hair, but everything else was foreign. Maybe he wasn’t my father’s child.

     “I meant no harm, Eleanor,” Francis said, gently taking my hand, sending shivers down my spine. I looked up at him with a smile, giving his hand a small squeeze. “I know you didn’t. With all honesty, no harm was done. My love for him faded away the instant he started to change.”

     Not wanting to be lost in his eyes, I looked to the portrait of my coronation. You could only see the upper half of my body, with hardly a touch of make-up upon my face. Then I was young. Then I was innocent. Actually, a new portrait is to be added tomorrow of me that was done about two months ago. There I looked aged and matured. Each of portraits were true about the person that they depicted. One was just a girl, the other was a woman of power, a woman who has seen enough blood, enough corruption, and enough pain in her short life.

     Francis’ eyes came to look over my coronation portrait again, looking over my features, mainly my face, before turning to me. “You look very different.”

     “Hmm. Hard to believe that was five years ago, isn’t it?”

     “No!” Francis exclaimed, flashing me a toothy grin that faded as fast as it came when realizing that I was serious. “My God, I’m so sorry –“

     I held up my hand to stop him.

     “Pity, King Francis, is something I will not tolerate from anyone towards me. Do you know why you don’t pity anyone,” I asked with a calm face. He shook his head, his eyes in shock at my reaction.

     “Because pity demoralizes you. It takes you apart slowly, painfully. There is nothing fulfilling about it. You think that the person would feel reassured or even happy that someone cares, but no. Oh no, no, no. That person feels even more awful, let alone put down. So learn this from me rather than from someone else.”

     “Why from you?” He challenged, his eyes seeming to darken with a look adorning his face that assured me that I had angered him.

     “Many things have happened for me, to me, and because of me. You have no idea what demons I have faced. Now, if we could, let us get to the meeting, shall we,” I finished, turning on my heel, leaving Francis in his place. “Keep up, King Francis, there is much for you learn from my court and the life as a ruler. Come!”

     I smirked as I heard his steps behind me. As much as I would love to watch Francis get angry, he can’t get too angry at me for my head on a silver platter would be his wish.

     Its fun being a queen, isn’t it? Care to join the party?