44

The clock was ticking and time was going by faster than Ellie or Draco would have liked

The clock was ticking and time was going by faster than Ellie or Draco would have liked. Ellie could feel the beating of her heart and compared every beat to that of a clock ticking, completely oblivious, as she sat there on the stairs in the astronomy tower -- leaning against a statue, eyes furiously speeding through words, -- to Draco Malfoy right beside her, almost leaning into her side as he read through the pages of Nikolai's journal with her. 

It had been an hour that the pair had been reading, and neither of them knew it, but both of their mouths were dry. 

~ ...it's just a legacy is all it is, and I know my parents put a face on, a face that masks what they feel deep down whether they know it or not. They do feel the same as I do, and I know they support what I'm feeling and what I want to become, and they are loyal to Him still. I know I wasn't turned in by them over what happened with Alexander for the sole reason that it's clear I'm the only child of theirs who was destined to follow in my family's footsteps. Mother and Father were loyal before, even the Malfoys are still supporters whether that idiot Draco knows it or not. ~

Ellie and Draco looked at each other at the same time, the Gryffindor girl inhaling softly -- not at how close their faces were, not at how electric and emotional and frightened Draco's eyes looked, but at the simple fact of what had been written by an absolute moron. Ellie kept staring at him for a moment, waiting for the Malfoy boy to say something, but he didn't. All he did was lick his lips in thought, like he was, too, waiting for her to say something. He definitely wasn't going to budge. 

Ellie licked her lips too and swallowed, looking down in thought for a moment, feeling her eyebrows crease inwards in confusion. 

"There was more than once that Nikolai had shown you and the others a journal, I think it might have been the other one judging by your... reaction to this."

Draco continued to stare at her for a moment with a hard look. Ellie swallowed thickly. Had he regretted showing this to her? It can't have been a set up by Nikolai... Draco wouldn't do that to her... But the look on Draco's face, and his silence, was scaring her. Draco seemed to cotton on to this and softened his eyes, looking away from her. The boy cleared his throat. 

"What of it?"

"Well, what was it all about? The journal, I mean. Here all he's been talking about is a legacy and his parents supporting You-Know-Who, and his relatives, and how awesome his dumb ancestors were. Don't get me wrong, it's creepy and all, and it makes me ill, but... there's got to be more," Ellie said quickly.

Draco paused for a moment, and he looked as though he was arguing with himself in his head. "His grandfather's journal. Orlov boasted about it a couple times -- it's all about his grandfather and You-Know-Who, his grandfather being a huge follower and all that rubbish. That's the legacy he's going on about."

It clicked.

"Oh," said Ellie, looking down at Nikolai's journal. It was disturbing to hold it in her hands and she had the sudden urge to drop it. "That makes more sense now."