Chapter 16

Sixteen
☢☢☢

As we left the house, Fabio asked me what I thought of bringing Lola to the party. It wasn't a bad idea. I would love to if I could but I decided one party was not worth the risk of exposing her to unwanted people as my girlfriend. Sure there would be a lot of new faces there but I didn't want to take any chance. They'd see right through me. I was aware of how differently I behave around Lola.

"I think she'd love it," Fabio said as we strode down the entrance steps.

"I don't know."

"I know you care about her but she'd love it too if you take her out sometime. Go out together like normal people do. . ."

I considered Fabio's suggestion and nodded in response. Although we saw each other often now, we hadn't been doing too many fun things besides paying occasional visits down to Ricardo's marine center to feed sea lions. Regardless, she always seemed to enjoy everything even if they weren't much, she had that light in her and that made me want to take her everywhere but, I had to be very careful about where I take her, when I take her or who sees us together. Before Lola, I had nothing to lose. Now I do.

I have her. So, I only took her to places where I knew she would be safest. I had never even asked her where she wanted to go. But she always seemed to understand our situation well and no matter where I took her, she never once said she wanted to be somewhere else. She'd only keep on smiling at me. I loved that about her so much.

In the evening, I drove down to the marine center to meet Lola there. She'd come out with her friends at night, then I'd take her somewhere we could be alone, and when it's too late, I'd drive her back to college, or she'd spend the night at my place. On other days, she'd come down to the center and hang around with Al, playing with the sea lions, while she waited for me.

I parked my Vette in front of Al's 550 Square feet, two-story boathouse with a French door, tethered to land. He lived on it full-time and on many occasions, he'd wander off into the sea without a word and return after days. It'd drive me mad with anxiety. I strode up the make-shift steps to the deck and knocked on the door. Al answered.

"You're kind of early today."

"Yeah. Left quite early. Where's Lola?"

"Out at the back."

I followed him into the house, pulled off my gun from the waistband, and placed it on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet. Walking past the table, I removed my blazer, hung it on a stool, tucked up the sleeves, and went outside to meet her. She stood leaning on the wooden railing, her back facing me, earphones on, and watching the moon reflected on the glittering water in front of her. A soft breeze brushed past us, blowing her hair while I trod to her quietly.

I heard her hum a little, then nod to the music in her ears before I grabbed her waist and she jumped with a little squeak, gasping.

When she saw my face, she slapped my arm, laughing, "You scared me!"

My hands went snaking around her waist and I leaned in for a kiss. With a warm, knowing smile, she wound her arms around my neck, pressing her fingers into my nape as she pulled me down to her lips. I pushed my face further into her for a deeper kiss, tasting her tongue, and playing with it. Her soft frame felt very small and snuggly in my arms, I kept drawing her closer, tightening my arms around her body. And then two discreet knocks on the door had us pulling apart.

Al's head popped out from the door. "Sorry. But should I set the table now?"

"Sure."

Lola and I followed him inside the house and helped him set the table. This was a place where I felt home more than my own apartment. Other than Ricardo's mansion, this was the only place where I came down often for meals or to sleepover. In Ricardo's mansion, I go mostly for business. Here, I come to chill, take a break from life and business.