38| A SOLUTION

The short time I had with Edward was just the calm before the storm. All our problems seemed to fall out of the sky but if I'm being honest, I should've seen it coming. Edward's father, Louis, had been in this state ever since I let Hector's mother go. That was months ago and I should've paid more attention to his worsening state. I was angry at him for treating his mate like that but now I could be the reason that he'll die.

Despite all the things he had done to Adeline and their children, Louis was still Edward's father and I was one of the reasons that put him in this terrible decision. If Louis' state didn't get any better, Edward would have to kill him in order to protect his pack.

I killed my own father but he truly deserved that. Still, I had nightmares about it almost every night. What would it be like to Edward, who had a good relationship with his father? It would crush him and I didn't want to see him hurt.

There had to be another way. I created this mess in the first place, so I will have to clean it up. Louis had to be saved.

"Maybe we should contact Adeline and ask her to come back? I'm sure she could trigger father in a positive way", Jonathan suggested.

We were assembled in the mess hall to discuss what to do with Louis. I stood by the window and watched the Pack from far away. The market was busy and daily love just went by.

I could feel Edward's eyes on me. He was sitting next to Jonathan and had been quiet this entire time. Last night we went to bed without talking. He had a lot on his mind and so did I.

"Should I call her-",

"Don't try. It will make matters even worse",

Harper walked inside with a tired look. She didn't look as vibrant as she usually looks. Her hair was tied up in a lazy ponytail and the bags under her eyes told me she didn't sleep enough. Yet, she still looked determined and her eyes fell on me.

"Seeing Adeline will only drive him further in his hunger",

I understood that. He was in this state because his mate got away from him. Bring her back when he was not thinking functionally would cause a lot of problems. What if he wouldn't be able to control himself even less than he does now.

"Celeste, walk with me",

She walked out the room, expecting me to follow her. I looked at Edward who seemed confused. Why did she want me to follow her? I shrugged and went behind her.

We walked outside to the garden where Edward kissed me for the first time. I loved being her and it was my favourite part of the house. Harper sat down on the bench and I went to sit beside her.

"You feel guilt",

I nodded.

"I don't really understand why. Louis was already going down that road. Adeline would've run away either way. He was too toxic and abusive towards her",

I didn't expect Harper to say that because she didn't like Adeline. What she said was true. Louis was abusive towards Adeline. He kept her away from everybody and just came to her for his own sexual pleasure.

"Still my children aren't ready to lose there father and neither...", she took a deep breath.

Her eyes filled with tears and she stared ahead of her. I wondered if she ever had a mate or if she never met him. Edward once explained me that his parents' union was more a political agreement. She was as stuck to Louis as he was to her but I could tell that she loves him.

"Are you?", I finished her sentence.

The tears fell and she quickly wiped them away. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly. She sighed and shook her head as more tears filled her eyes.

"I've been with him for such a long time. He's the father of my children and they still need him. I still need him",

"I'll find a solution", I promised her.

She chuckled and wiped her tears away with her sleeve. She turned to me and I looked straight into her eyes. She had to believe me. I really would do anything to make up for what I have done.

"I know the solution",

I frowned but she smiled softly.

"There is only one person that can help him. The person he loves the most",

The person he loves the most? I thought she just said that Adeline would only make matters worse? Then, I figured she must not be the person he loves most. Who was that person then?

Jonathan? Edward? Elizabeth? Harper? Hector? He loves his children a lot and he had a close relationship with Harper. But who is it? The person he loves the most...

"It's very easy to guess. It frustrates me that it's her but it's the truth", Harper urged members.

My jaw dropped and I felt so dumb for not guessing it directly. He was so overprotective of her and Hector told me about how his father always tried to spoil her.

"Courtney", I whispered.

"Make her comeback and we will be able to save Louis",