Introductions

"Witchcraft and wizardry," I muttered under my breath as I stared at the strangely dressed man that stood in front of me. It was probably rude, but I couldn't help myself; I started laughing. It wasn't minor laughter, a little giggle or chuckle, no. It was full on, gut wrenching laughter that caused my body to shake and my abdominals cramp with the effort. "Witchcraft and wizardry," I repeated once I had gotten myself under control. The headmaster only stared on, a strange twinkle in his eyes. "You've got to be kidding me. That stuff only exists in fairy tales," I said. Still, the headmaster said nothing. My eyes widened as I looked at the old man. "You're being serious aren't you," I said. The man only smiled.

"Follow me, Edward, and I will explain what your job will be," he said as he turned and walked away.

"What the hell, old man!" I called as I scrambled after him. For an old dude, he could definitely move. "You can't possibly be telling me the truth. Magic doesn't follow the laws of equivalent exchange," I reasoned. "T-this can't be possible," I called at the man. My thoughts were racing at the thought of magic. It couldn't be possible, but here this old man was, telling me it was the truth, telling me that magic was real. I stopped in my tracks, too confused to continue. I couldn't get my thoughts straightened out.

The old man stopped on the path in front of me. Only then did I realize that we were traveling a worn beaten path. Ahead, on the skyline, I could see a huge castle rising on the horizon. I stood and gapped like a fish as I stared at the huge structure. To think I couldn't even see all of it from my position.

"Edward, I am aware you come from a world ruled by the laws of alchemy and equivalent exchange, but I must remind you that you are not in your own world; you are in a completely different world," the headmaster said slowly, giving me time to process the words. "Our world is governed by magic. Here, you would be considered a muggle, a non-magical person. Our wizarding world is hidden from sight from the rest of the world; it is too dangerous for the rest of the world to try and get its hands on," the old man explained patiently.

"How is this possible?" I asked, looking at the man for explanation. My head felt like it was going to burst with the amount of information being packed in all at once. It was like I was going soaring back through the gate all those nights ago, only slightly less intense.

"You did meet with Truth, didn't you?" Dumbledore asked, a frown on his lips.

"Yes, I met with Truth, on multiple occasions actually," I admitted.

"That is your answer enough, young alchemist. There is a portal between the worlds with Truth at its center," he explained. I grabbed my head in a gloved hand, trying to wrap my head around the idea of multiple words, multiple dimensions. I couldn't say that it had necessarily been disproven, but it was something that I hadn't given a lot of thought to before.

"How did you come to meet Truth?" I asked, genuinely curious as Dumbledore started walking. I fell into step beside him, looking up at the older man for information. "Back home, you only see if you open the gate," I explained, but not going any further.

"Yes, it is the same here. All wizards, just like Alchemists, contain a gate; a portal of truth. Our world is not governed by the laws of equivalent exchange, thus there is no payment. Though, I must say, only very powerful wizards and witches can contact the gate. It takes years to look deep enough inside yourself, to clear your mind, to see the Truth; not many have seen it," he explained. I nodded, that idea making sense, but I still couldn't get behind the idea of magic. I had grown up as a scientist, only looking for concrete evidence as proof.

"You're still having a hard time believing in magic," Dumbledore guessed, and I nodded. "Well, I guess it would be best if you just saw it for yourself," the old wizard admitted. He didn't stop and do some wand waving like I thought he would. Instead, he kept walking. We walked in comfortable silence for a few minutes, my mind still trying to wrap itself around the idea of magic and other worlds. All I did was give myself a headache.