book 1 - chapter 30

It feels weird to be surrounded by so much snow. Despite having spent my entire life growing up here, these past few months at Republic City make my home seem foreign. The warm air that I was now so accustomed to, has grown cold. It even makes goosebumps rise along my arms.

Right now, Korra and I are walking with our arms interlocked towards the healing hut. We landed a few minutes ago and we're heading straight there; I'll start seeing what I can do, if there's anything I can do.

Since I only woke up from my accident much earlier today, it took the entire day to fly to the South Pole. Apparently the entire time I was unconscious, Korra refused to see anyone. Even Mako. I was surprised by that, since I thought she'd like to be comforted by the boy she's liked for a while now. Apparently, I was the first one to see her after the entire thing happened.

With each step we take, our feet sink into the snow. She only let me come along, mostly because we're best friends but also because I'm considered the best healer after my grandmother. We left the rest of Team Avatar, along with Chief Beifong, and Uncle Tenzin back at the outskirts to unpack everything from Oogie and the rest of the sky bison – then they'll join us tomorrow at the reception of the healing hut for updates on her progress.

Right now, it's almost midnight. We'll have to wait until tomorrow for Gran-Gran to check on Korra since she's asleep. My best friend, having grown up with Gran-Gran as well, knows how hard getting a good night's sleep is for her, mostly due to the loss of my grandfather. Korra, being the amazing person and Avatar she is, respects this. So, we established that I'll do the initial assessment tonight and then my grandmother and I will take it from there tomorrow depending on what information I find.

I open the door for Korra and we both step inside the healing hut. I shut the door quickly to keep the cold out, and rub my arms, trying to warm myself up. We step inside one of the healing rooms, after pushing the sliding door to the side. A strange feeling overtakes me as eerily vivid memories of my recovery from my accident scurry through my head. I didn't think that coming back home would have such a weird impact on me.

I step over and begin to accommodate the different water basins closer to the patient bed. I pat it softly. "You can start laying down here, Kor." I coo.

She nods and proceeds to lie down. "I'm nervous." She admits, though she says it so softly that it's barely audible.

"That's understandable." I comment. "I'm nervous too."

She furrows her eyebrows. "Tip for the future, Luna. Don't tell your patients you're nervous before doing healing on them."

I chuckle, relieved to see that her sense of humor is still intact. "Well, I've never done this type of healing before." I explain, letting her know that it's not my lack of abilities, more like my lack of experience in this matter.

"It's not like Katara covered it when you were learning." Korra mutters. "What-to-do-when-psychpaths-take-your-bending-101."

I know that she's trying to be funny, or to cope with humor through her pain. However, this makes me feel more pressure. This is the Avatar's bending we're talking about. I force a laugh, in order for her not to think that something is wrong. Yet, I can't help but feel scared. Terrified, even.

I reach over to the bookshelf and grab the books that I read when I was in training. I open to the pages of the anatomy of benders and place it next to me, where I can read if necessary. I breathe in deeply and bend the water to wrap my hands. They start glowing once the healing properties are activated and then I press them to Korra's forehead.

I feel a lot of disturbed energy and try to pinpoint where it's coming from, seeking to find out if my theory on Amon's bloodbending her connection to the elements is true or not. I close my eyes, trying to concentrate on what I'm feeling.