▼ Anxiety ▼

Does it bug anyone else when these all these ppl on social media saying 'I have anxiety'..... Like No Sh!^ we all do, its a basic human emotion. But they're mocking or belittling REAAL anxiety disorders. Idk it always makes me upset when people want anxiety for relatability ... like as someone who's diagnosed with panic disorder I promise you don't...

Anxiety is both a mental and physical state of negative expectation. Mentally it is characterized by increased arousal and apprehension tortured into distressing worry, and physically by unpleasant activation of multiple body systems—all to facilitate response to an unknown danger, whether real or imagined.

Occasional bouts of anxiety are natural and can even be productive. Anxiety can be considered the price we humans pay for having the ability to imagine the future. But persistent, pervasive, or outsize anxiety can disrupt daily life, whether at school, work, or with friends—the mark of an anxiety disorder. Nearly one-third of adults in the U.S. will grapple with out-of-control anxiety at some point in their life.

Anxiety breaks down into six categories: generalized anxiety disorder,
panic disorder,
obsessive-compulsive disorder,
social anxiety disorder,
specific phobias,
and post-traumatic stress disorder.

What's the difference between a panic attack and an anxiety attack?
You might hear the terms "anxiety attack" and "panic attack" used interchangeably. This is understandable, given that they share some common symptoms. However, they are different.

Anxiety attacks are typically a symptom of a mental health condition, or traumatic event, and:
Develop slowly over time

Give individuals a general feeling of unease, restlessness or tension

Physical symptoms may be less intense than panic attacks

Triggered by specific situations or events

Can last for days, weeks or months

(Summarized anxiety attacks are intense fear 'attack' over an event)

The hallmark characterisitic of a panic attack is that it has no trigger.
Panic attack/disorder symptoms include:

Start suddenly and peak within minutes

Intense physical symptoms that can feel like a heart attack or a life-threatening situation

Fear of losing control or dying

Typically last for a shorter duration than anxiety attacks (a few minutes to an hour)

Can happen without any apparent trigger or cause

(Summarized panic attacks are intense fear over a bodily sensation. Such as feeling like you're dying, having a heart attack, can't get enough air, etc.

》More than 31%  of U.S. people will experience an anxiety disorder at some point in their lifetimes.

Anxiety is often genetic
anxiety disorders and anxious temperaments seem to run in families. Studies also show that individuals who are genetically predisposed to anxiety are at a higher risk of developing anxiety after exposure to traumatic or stressful events.

According to the CDC, approximately 7% of children between the ages of 3 and 17 years old have diagnosed anxiety. Since children are still developing their verbal skills they can't say, "I have anxiety" or "I'm really worried."
Instead their anxiety shows up in complaints such as stomach aches, headaches, or behavioral issues like temper tantrums.

Have you ever wondered why your hands and feel sometimes feel cold to the touch? Did you know that it could be the result of anxiety? When we feel anxious, the flight or fight response kicks in. When this occurs, blood flow is redirected from your extremities, such as your hands and feet, and towards the torso and vital organs. This creates the feeling of cold in your hands and feet.

Diagnosis and treatment

Anxiety is often wrongly dismissed as an overreaction to manageable stress, but an anxiety disorder isn't something you can simply "snap out of."
But with the right treatment tools and coping methods, most people can feel anxious less often. Learning to manage your anxiety is key to reducing its effects on your life.
you've been feeling intense anxiety recently or are experiencing other symptoms of an anxiety disorder, reaching out to your primary care doctor is an important first step. They may refer you to a mental health specialist.

Treatments for anxiety disorders include:

cognitive therapy:
cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
exposure therapy

medications:
benzodiazepines (e.g. Xanax, Klonopin, Valium)
antidepressants
beta-blockers

complementary and alternative medicine (CAM):
meditation
yoga
acupuncture

Though it's always a good idea to talk to a doctor or mental health professional when having symptoms of anxiety, there are other small steps you can take to help you feel better.
Talking with a trusted friend or joining a support group may help relieve some of your stress and anxiety. It's often in these interactions that you realize you're not alone in your thoughts and emotions.