Chapter 11

Lunch with Adrian turned out be... nice, surprisingly. We talked about basic things about each other and he told me about Maggs, who was apparently his aunt and lived somewhere near the restaurant with her husband. She was his mother's elder sister and had a son who was a couple years older than Adrian. Adrian had a fond smile on his face as he talked about Maggs and it was clear to see that Maggs had the equal amount of love for him if not more.

"Sometimes I can't decide whether to call her my aunt or my friend or even an annoying younger sister." Adrian shared with a hint of smile. It was a rare sight, Adrian smiling genuinely, not just a smirk or a mere amused expression, but a real genuine smile. It almost made me want to keep looking at him all day. But I did not. 'Cause it would seem weird. And Evelyn White was not weird.

We finished our lunch with light conversations here and there with him talking the most of course, and me contributing little without really talking about my personal life.

Now that I'd had lunch, my hunger and anger and hunger meter had gone down and I was back to my normal calm self. But no amount of food could make me talk about my personal life. Especially with someone like Adrian who was still a mere acquaintance and practically a stranger, although I was beginning to feel something like familiarity as well as something new with him. But either way, my personal life was limited to me and I'd like to keep that mystery to myself. Nevertheless, I enjoyed his company more than I was willing to admit.

And now we were both glaring with all our might at each other. We had our hands outstretched, holding our credit cards as we silently challenged each other with our eyes, daring the other to make a move to give the card to the girl on the counter, who was obviously torn between whether to snap at us or just leave us be. Any move she made to take my credit card would be stopped halfway by Adrian's harsh glare and so was mine when she moved towards his.

I was aware that the people witnessing were a second away from calling the mental asylum to inquire about two runaway lunatics but I did not budge from my position and neither did he. I was beginning to feel pity towards the counter girl but then I saw her staring at Adrian with a look resembling the heart eyed emoji and I quickly changed my mind. I did not pity people who had no professionalism. And she didn't have that, I could see. Not that it was my business. She could stare at anyone as long as she took my credit card over his.

"It's just a lunch, Evelyn, let me pay." I didn't know what it was about him taking my name that made me feel... different. But this time I tried my best to ignore everything and just focused on the intensity of my glare towards him. It was quite high but I was willing to increase it to a few more notches.

"Exactly, it's just a lunch, Adrian. Let me pay. Don't think for a second that you are going to pay just because you're a man. I ate the most so I'm going to pay." I stated indignantly glaring at him again.

It was true, after all. Apparently Adrian had already had his lunch before coming to my office but that annoying pest of a man lied and manipulated me into eating with him. All the more reason to glare at him some more, I thought, increasing the intensity of my glare yet again.

"Good heavens! You both are still here in the same position as I'd left you fifteen minutes ago. I can't believe this! I told you both that it's on the house. Now just keep away both of your cards this instant!" Maggs exclaimed, coming from behind the counter girl and we both directed our glare to her but immediately looked down as guilty little school children as she glared at us and silently withdrew our cards.