Chapter 23

Albus' POV:

We were all currently waiting for the Lords and Ladies of the old pureblood families to arrive for the trial. Sirius was chained tightly to the chair by magic and there were dementors on either side of him.

After around 10 minutes everyone had arrived and the trial began.

"Welcome Lords and ladies to the trial of one Sirius Orion Black III." Fudge said.

"Excuse me Minister, but why is there another trial if he is guilty and there was a kiss on sight order for the dementors. No disrespect sir." Lord Greengrass said.

"Of course Lord Greengrass, you see here...Lord Black never received a trial those 12 years ago..." he said. I grimaced just waiting for the outrage over THE Lord BLACK getting thrown into prison without trial.

"WHAT? THATS AN OUTRAGE!" Was heard all around the room.

The minister shot loud sparks into the air (judges tend not to use gavels in the UK courts) and shouted for silence.

"We will now proceed. Lord Black to you consent to truth serum?"

"Yes minister." He said hoarsely.

A Young ministry worker walked calmly over to him and poured three drops down his throat.
Sirius' eyes glazed over after drinking it.

"Name?"

"Sirius Orion Black III"

"It is in working order minister, Madame Bones."

They nodded and began.

"Were you James and Lily Potters secret keeper?" Madame Bones asked.

"No." He replied in a monotone voice.

Gasps filled the room, again shouts of outrage at the minister.

"SILENCE." Cornelius boomed.

"Did you murder Peter Pettigrew and 12 muggles?"

"No, it was my intention to kill peter I admit that freely but I didn't get the chance. He began to shout about how I'd betrayed James and Lily and then blew up the street behind him to frame me and then chopped off his finger to make it look as if I'd murdered him in cold blood. He then turned into his animagus form, a rat funny enough and fled down the sewers."

"An illegal animagus?"

"Yes Madame."

She nodded and then said, "why were you found laughing manically at the scene?"

"I was so shocked that little cowardly Peter was actually the one to betray us and sell James and Lily to Voldemort."

Shudders went around the room at the sound of his name but Amelia soon shushed them.

"Well I say we vote now Cornelius."

He nodded, "very well."

"Those in favour of sending him back to Azkaban?"

No wands lit up in the chamber to show they thought him guilty, they couldn't. It was impossible. He had been trialed under truth serum and it was not physically possible to lie under it unlike the imperious curse which you could build a resistance to.

"All in favour of dropping all charges?"

All the wands in the room lit up to show they had found him innocent.

"Lord Black, you have been found innocent and will be payed 5000 galleons a year for each year you were in Azkaban. We will also be paying for you to go to a mind healer at St Mungos for a year."