Chapter 9... Loss and Realization

AN: I've been updating this way too much. But I just can't think of anything else. On with the story.

My eyes snap open. I swing myself into a standing position. Did he just say twelve?
"June! Oh wow! The first twelve in history!"
"June, this is amazing!"
"June oh my goodness!"
"I can't believe you got a twelve!"
I say nothing. I can't. I got the first twelve in history. This is both good and bad. Mostly bad. Definitely bad.
"The sponsors will be lining up for you, June!" Effie says with a smile. I meet her look with one of horror.
"This isn't good at all!" I yell at the same time as Haymitch speaks calmly. For the first time in a long time he's sober. Thank God.
"How could this not be good?" Portia, Dawson's stylist, asks. My hand grabs my forehead.
"I'll be the target of the arena! Everyone will be out to kill me! I'll be dead within the first five minutes!" I screech. I start cursing, and pacing back and forth. "Any ideas?" Dawson asks.
"We could make her look as least threatening as possible!" an assistant stylist chirps. I throw my hands up in defeat. "I'm dead. I'm so dead," I groan.
I'm never going to see my family again. I'll never see them again. I'll never see Lake, mom, Jasper or Lily again. I'll never go home. I'm going to die in that arena. I'm going to die just like her!
"Like who?" Cinna, my stylist asks. Crap, I said that last part out loud. "Like who, June?" Dawson presses. I collapse on the chair.
"My sister. My older sister. Her name was Castor Wayward. She died in the games seven years ago. She got an eleven, and everyone was after her. She was killed on the third day by careers. I'm going to die the same way. The careers offered me an alliance, and I said no because I'm a moron," I snapped.
"Oh June. June, you poor thing..." Portia cooed. "Castor? Cast?" Effie's voice asks. I looked at her and nodded. Tears formed in her eyes. She wiped them away. "Can I talk to you for a moment, June? Alone?" She whispered. I stood and followed her onto the deck.
"Castor was a wonderful girl. You remind me of her in so many ways. She was always a fighter, just like you. But you're stronger. I can see it in your eyes. You look so much like her," Effie started getting choked up.
"June, Castor wasn't killed in the games. She was still alive," Effie says. My eyes widened. "What? N-no, that's not possible. Her body came home. I- I-" I saw her. I helped prepare her body for burial. I was there. She was dead.
Effie shook her head. "She was still alive when they took her. They saved her, and turned her into an avox (an avox is a toungless person that acts as a servant.). They killed her a few days later for resisting them. They sent her home after the games," she says. My heart almost stopped. "Anything else I should know?" I whispered. She nods. "Talk to Haymitch. I don't think I can handle any more of this..." Effie's voice finally broke.
She's tougher than I give her credit for. And Castor... She died as an avox. She didn't die in the games. She was still alive, and I didn't even know it!
I practically ran into the living room. "Haymitch!" I hissed. All the heads in the room turned towards me. "Effie said you know something," I said.
Haymitch sighed, and stood. We walked outside again, this time on a different patio. I leaned against the railing, waiting for him to talk.
"I knew your father, Jason Wayward. He was a great man," Haymitch says. I nod. My dad was very kind to the people of our district. He would give people food. But that's what got him caught.
"The penalty for going out into the woods isn't death. I don't know what the punishment is, I just know it isn't death. Jason was killed because of something else. He was trying to start an uprising. It almost worked, it would have is Jason didn't die. But the uprising was over the second he died," Haymitch told me.
Dad was killed for treason? "I don't understand. Why didn't anyone tell me? Does my mother know?" I asked. "No one other than Effie, you, and me know. That's why no one said anything. Your mother didn't even know he was leading an uprising," he says sadly.
I slam my hand against the railing. "I've lost two people I care about. I almost lost a third," I look at Haymitch, "If I don't make it out alive, tell my mother. Tell her everything. And my brother Lake. Tell my friend Jasper don't let Lake go into the games. Tell Lily I'm sorry," I say.
"You'll have to tell them that yourself. Because you're going to win."