Lingering Kiss

"Mia," Fred called.

Mia made her way out of the restaurant and walked hurriedly down the block because waiting for a cab meant Fred catching up to her.

Fred was out of the seat and pushing the waitress away. He dropped a wad of bill on the table and went after her in the early darkness of the night. He saw a figure in black walking hurriedly and knew that was her. He immediately took off running. Mia had looked lovelier than ever, than any other night. He had lost the last of his control just from keeping himself at bay when he walked in and saw her at the table.

"Mia." He called again and Mia increased her pace as much as she could in the heels she was wearing.

She was biting her lower lip so hard to keep the tears away. She was doing this to them, so why was her heart aching.

"Mia!" Fred called again and just as Mia lost her footing and went tumbling forward, Fred caught onto her arm and pulled her backwards into his chest. The street was empty except for the lit of bars and the cars on the road. Fred pulled her to the nearest wall and pushed her up against it to keep her from fleeing. He braced his hands on either side of her shoulder.

They were both breathing heavily.
"Fuck, Mia." He said breathlessly, eyes clenched shut. "Are you trying to punish me for something?"

"I'm not." She shook her head, eyes closed with the tears brimming at the surface.

"Then why?"

"I...I can't." She forced out as she lifted her hands to his chest to stop her eyes snapping open just like his.

Fred gazed into her eyes and Mia felt like she was unable to breathe at the intensity of his look. His hand left the wall and he caressed the side of her neck, his fingers sinking back into her hair.

"Fred." She said in a painful whisper.

Fred leaned down and for the first time, slowly met his lips to her slightly pink ones. In that one moment, everything felt right again, her lips moving beneath his and he continued the slow movement. Her lips were the sweetest thing he had tasted, Fred concluded and he would be a happy man if he could drink from it for the rest of his life.

Mia was lost in the dream-like state his torturous kiss had put her in. She tightened her grip on his collar forgetting everything at that moment. His tongue slipping between her lips and moving in sync with hers like they were meant for it; like the perfect tango. Fred's other hand slipped from the wall behind her to her waist and gripped her, pulling her even closer to him. That's when reality hit her like a ton of bricks.

Mia let go of his collar, splaying her hands on his chest, she pushed at him, taking a step back herself and coming up against the wall. She blinked up at him, Fred himself stunned at what had just transpired between them.

She swallowed before she stepped to the side and walked in the direction she had been going before he caught up to her.

"Mia," Fred called oh-so-sweetly as he made to go after her again.

"Don't!" She spun around her heart racing but her mindset. "Don't follow me, Fred. Just...don't."

She stared into his eyes one last time as he did hers. He saw the finality to her words and felt the goodbye lingering in her eyes but he pushed it aside because he didn't want to believe it.

Mia turned around slowly and walked away with Fred watching her as she slipped right through his fingers without him being aware.

That's a preview of Lingering Kiss, Book 2 in the Fight For Love series.

One kiss was all it took.

Mia Allen, an aspiring lawyer who keeps her nose buried in books during the day makes up for it by partying at night. Her life is perfectly balanced until fate decides to distort that and one kiss was all it took to send her scales wobbling.

Frederick Zahn - Fred - is a strong-willed, strong-hearted businessman. He's all business and no play but when he loves, he loves hard. He's been burnt once and he plans on not making the same mistake twice. But one kiss was all it took to have him wanting to try again.

One kiss was what brought them together.

But is it strong enough to keep them together?

Find out in Lingering Kiss.