VI

Karsyn Sekai Miller

"In this trife life, there ain't nobody you can trust. Plus there's no justice, it's just us. In fact, watchin' yo back it be a must. And each and everyday around the way gats bust. And jealous so-called friends'll try to set you up, It's called betrayal." - Guru

"Ladybug! How are you?" Dimitri's mother greeted me as I walked through her door.

"I'm okay, how are you?"

"I'm making it. Elijah finally asked me where his uncle was and I broke down because I didn't have an answer. On top of that, I got a call from the detective telling me that they are looking for two people in connection with his case."

I trailed her to the kitchen and took a seat at the table "I'm going to have to go see my baby. But really? Have they given you any names?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." She shook her head, a look of disgust on her face as she stirred what was in the pot on the stove. Wiping her hands with the towel, she handed me her phone.

"What the ... Are you serious?" On the screen was a picture of Dimitri's best friend and his brother.

"Nope. They killed my baby for $4500, a chain and a watch."

Could I say I was surprised? No. I'd told Dimitri multiple times to watch the people who he considered to be his friends. I was one of those people who sat quietly and observed, so I could pick up on everything that was going on around me. There were multiple times that I'd been around to catch on to shady comments.

We were standing in one of the high end jewelry stores.

"Which one you want ma?" Dimitri stood behind me, with his arms wrapped around my neck. His chin pressed in my shoulder as we looked at the arrangement of jewelry.

I picked up the diamond tennis necklace.

"Niggas really be out here splurging on bitches." His two friends stood off to the side, laughing.

I turned my lips up, not amused by the comment.

"Watch ya fuckin' mouth blood." Dimitri snapped. "Real shit." Dropping his arms, he pulled up his pants.

I carefully placed the expensive piece of jewelry back into the case. The comments had turned me off, even though I didn't want anything before and was going along with what Dimitri wanted, I definitely didn't want anything now .

"Chill!" One of them snickered, holding they hands up defensively. "We just saying, you making all this money and ain't put nobody on yet. That's fucked up. I thought it was ya brothers before anybody?"

Rolling my eyes, that was a lie. I wasn't proud of Dimitri's hobbies but I could say that he was making sure everyone in his circle was good even though he wasn't no where near rich. But people were just never satisfied and loved to pocket watch. I grabbed my phone from the counter and walked out of the store and sat on a bench. Dimitri came out and helped me up and we walked hand in hand through the mall.

"Why you so quiet all of a sudden?" He brushed his thumb over the top of my hand.

"I just want you to watch who you hang with. Some shit that you consider joking is really undercover hate."

"I'm not worried about that. But look, I got you something." He stopped and pulled out a small black bag out of one of the larger one bags that he was carrying. Digging into the bag, he pulled out two black velvet boxes.

"Dimitri." I dragged out as he revealed the tennis necklace and matching bracelet.

"What? I told you that anything that you wanted, I got you. Forever." He grinned.

"I just wish he would have listened. I told him to stay away from those leeches. They always hated to see him doing better than them, that's why they took him away from us." She sat the plate of food in front of me.

This was a dirty world.

I thanked her. I waited for her to sit down so she could pray over our food. She held out her hand I grabbed it and bowed my head, closing my eyes.

"Dear Heavenly Father, I thank you for all that you've done for us. I thank you for allowing me to prepare this meal for my daughter and I. I pray that you continue to give us Strength and Guidance as we waver through these trying times. Amen."

"Amen."

It was silent, the only thing that could be heard was the sounds of the forks hitting the plate and us chewing.

"I wish you would have went through the pregnancy."

I coughed, nearly choking on my food. "Excuse me." I swallowed, picking up my glass, I took a large gulp.

"Dimitri told me. He told me how he bad he felt, said he wished that he could have done things differently. He wanted the child with you but he knew that it wasn't the time. I think my baby knew that his time was coming to an end, I had never heard him talk like that."

Tears welled in my eyes.

"I could have had a piece of him to try to fill this void. That was my baby, my last born..." She cried a little. "I'm sorry. I'm sure you didn't come here to hear me cry." She giggled.

"It's alright." I continued to eat my food.

After my visit with Ms. Dena. I went home, Dawn Penn's "You Don't Love Me" played from my Alexa as I cleaned my room. Using the broom as a microphone, I sung along. When I was done, I took a shower and got in the bed. I sat with my back against the headboard with my MacBook on my lap, looking at condos on apartments.com. I knew that Karter didn't mind me staying here but I knew that it was time for me to get my own place. In the midst of searching , a FaceTime from Genesis popped up on the screen.

"Hello." I answered and continued my search.

"Hey, how you feeling today?" She asked, sounding a bit down.

I clicked on one that I liked and went through the pictures . "I'm actually feeling fine. How are you?"

"I'm okay. I got into with my mama, I was wondering if I could come stay with you for the night?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Thank you. Have you heard the news? They are looking for Jordan and Micah to talk to them about Dimitri's case."

I saved the link to that apartment and went to check the business email. "Yeah, the shit is sad. You really can't trust anyone."

"And can't. I swear it's like everybody told Dimitri to watch his back. Niggas really be out here in competition with their homeboys."

"Bitches too." That's why Genesis was my only friend. I'd had other friends before but I wasn't into the being jealous and shady towards my friend thing, so I cut them off. That's why I only rocked with Genesis, I wanted my friend to win and vice versa. There were plenty of times were we'd both put each other in positions to do something great and it would always be that way.

This was an evil world and you really had to watch what kind of energy you allowed around you.
—————————————————————————————————
I'm ready to get into somethangssssssssss 😊 loving this book already. By the way, I'm writing about stuff that happens in REAL LIFE . If you don't like that, I advise you not to read... 🤷🏾‍♀️ Thanks for Reading 💙