33. B A X

My car skidded as I shoved myself into an empty parking space. I didn't think about whether I was in the lines, did the other cars have enough space etc, I just drove straight into it and jumped straight out.

I raced across the car park, receiving several annoyed beeps as I threw myself in front of car after car to get to those sliding doors and find the two most important people to me.

You're alive. You're both okay. I know it.

I repeated it over and over as I continued my jog.

"Hey!"

"I'm sorry!" I shouted back to the unfortunate old lady that I'd just almost knocked off her feet.

But seconds later my sympathy for the poor old woman was gone, and I was racing through the doors to find Lucy. I pounced on the woman behind the glass screen on the receptionist desk, slamming my palms against the surface.

"Lucy partridge. Came in with a shooting wound." I rushed, panting as I stared back at her frightened expression. She'd jumped back, almost falling out her chair when I approached but I wasn't bothered. Where was Lucy.

"Sir I think you need to calm down-"

"No! My girlfriend, who is carrying my baby, has just come in shot. I need to know what is going on."

She was still looking at me, only this time she looked more annoyed. Pissed off that I was now shouting at her, what did she expect? It was her job to take me to Lucy and she was making things difficult.

"Look, they could die. Please." I heard my own voice break, and tried to ignore how weak I sounded.

"This way." She rounded the desk, pointing towards a pair of blue double doors covered in different laminated sheets about hand washing.

She led me down a wide corridor with green and red arrows on the floor. When I looked at the wall I realised they were leading to two different areas. Our path led us through the green arrows. I was still panicking, my hands shaking, my legs wobbly. What if something happened to our baby? What if neither of them survived?

My head spun for a second, making me grip the wall beside me.

"Sir? Are you okay?" The receptionists hand gently came down on my shoulder as I shook my head back to reality.

"Yeah, fine." I stood straight and gestured for her to carry on. I didn't want to be seen breaking down I needed to be strong.

Within seconds we were in front of another desk. "Wait here."

I paced the halls as I waited. She spent what felt like hours talking to another man - presumably a doctor - until they both made their way over to me.

"Sir? You're here for Miss Partridge?"

I swivelled my head to see the older man staring at me, waiting for a response. He wore a set of green scrubs and a weird looking hat thing on his head.

"Yes." I replied, eventually.

"Please, have a seat."

He pointed to a set of four chairs attached to the wall, and sat beside me.

"Firstly, the bullet was too close to the amniotic sack protecting the baby that we've taken her straight to surgery. We need to deliver baby as soon as possible-"

"So she's okay? And our baby is okay?" I asked, hoping to god that's what he was about to say. My stomach was turning over and over as I waited for him to reply, and I felt my whole body drop when I saw his expression. He wasn't about to say that.