Chapter Thirty Three

I sat in third period staring out the window, completely unaware of what topic was being talked about in class. My eyes were focused on the parking lot, scanning every car that drove through, hoping to see Callum's.

I hadn't heard from Callum in two days, and I was beginning to get worried. The last thing he told me was that he needed time, and I had no idea what that even meant. I began to think about the blow up we had two mornings ago, trying to figure out how everything could go so wrong.

-

"What are those marks on your arm?"

Callum stood up and walked towards me, while I looked down at my arm wondering at what point in the night did my concealer come off.

I took a step back as he got closer, and he looked at me suspiciously.

"Dyl? What is that?" He asked, now right in front of me.

I put my arms behind my back, interlocking my fingers as I looked to the ground.

"Uhh, it's just a bruise. It's fine." I said quietly.

He gently took my arm from behind my back and stared at it intensely. "This looks like a hand mark. What happened, who did this?"

My stomach was in knots, I knew that I had to tell him the truth, but I really, truly didn't want to.

"Cal." I said softly, meeting his concerned gaze. "I don't want to upset you. Can you promise me that you will remain calm, I don't want you to react out of anger."

He looked at me for a minute and then nodded slowly.

I took his hand and led him to the bed, we both sat down.

"So last night, right before closing, Evan and some of his friends came into the diner." Callum grunted, and I could see on his face that he was struggling to not vocalize his anger. "I told them to leave, and he got upset and grabbed me." I said slowly. "One of his friends told him that he was taking too far, and he let go and told me that he was only joking."

"Is that all?" Callum asked, clearly pissed off.

"Yea." I muttered. "It wasn't that big of a deal."

He nodded again before taking a breath. "So you didn't plan on telling me any of this?"

"I just don't like to see you angry."

"Okay." He said, standing up, his eyes looking to the floor.

I grabbed his hand. "Where are you going?"

"Dylan, you know where I'm going." He said, taking his hand from mine and bending down to pick up his clothes.

"Callum you can't go after Evan, you aren't a minor anymore, you will go to jail." I said, desperately.

He ignored me and continued to put his clothes on.

"Callum, do you here me? You can't hurt him, you will get arrested again."

He stood in front of me, now fully dressed.

"I don't care."

"Callum please, you need to think about this. This is your life, our lives, you can't let your anger control you." I said, trying to reason with him.

"Dylan, I promised you I wouldn't react out of anger, and I meant that. This is not out of anger, this is me finishing something that should have been handled a long time ago. He's a coward who's been wanting to prove himself ever since the altercation last year. Evan knew that by hurting you, he would finally get the fight he so desperately wants, and now he's got his wish."