Chapter 32: Preliminaries

Chapter 32:

The preliminaries for the Spring Tournament in Miyagi have finally begun. Mizuki, the twins, and their team were at the stands, eagerly watching the Karasuno boys compete against their first opponent, Ohgiminami High School. From their perspective, the boys have truly improved since their unfortunate loss to Aoba Johsai a few months ago.

"Go Kei!" Mizuki cheered loudly, earning a smirk from him.

Their first set ended with a score of 25-16, with the Karasuno boys winning by a landslide.

"They're going to win against them, for sure!" Rina laughed energetically, "I can't wait for our games tomorrow!"

"You're not nervous?" Their captain asked her.

"No way! I'm fired up!" She responded confidently.

"I'm sorry about my sister. She can be arrogant, at times." Mina bowed slightly, causing Rina to cross her arms in annoyance.

"I'm excited too..." Mizuki smiled softly.

After an exciting second set (with a final score of 25-13), the boys won their first game, putting them one step closer to qualifiers. After a short break, they began their next game against Kakugawa High School. This seemed a little more difficult to win, especially because they had an extremely tall player.

"That guy is so tall!" Rina gasped, "I wonder how Shoyo feels right now."

"You can see how nervous he must be," Mizuki pointed at Hinata, who seemed to be simultaneously terrified and jealous of the boy from the opposite team.

"You can do it, Shoyo!" Rina yelled out loudly, "Keep your head up!"

As the first set started, the boys seemed to be having trouble with the opposite team's blocks and spikes, particularly with the tall guy. Hinata struggled to get his spikes over the net, which was frustrating to watch. Eventually, they got their rhythm back and won the first set with a final score of 25-22.

"WOO!!!" Rina clapped enthusiastically, "Great job boys!"

Hinata perked up as he heard Rina's voice and said, "Did you see that, Rina-chan?!"

"I did! You're amazing Shoyo!" She exclaimed, causing Hinata's eyes to twinkle in delight.

"You look a little tired, Kei!" Mizuki teased from the stands.

He shook his head in response as he drank from his water bottle. She couldn't help but laugh at his reaction.

"Oh?" A voice called out from behind them, "Fancy seeing you here, Toma Mizuki-chan!"

She spun around to find a very familiar yet obnoxious face, smirking at her. It was Terushima, the boy who asked for her number during her skating hangout with Kei. He leaned over and moved his face closer to hers.

"Oh. Um... hi, Terushima-san." She greeted uncomfortably as Rina and her teammates observed them.

"You're still looking as cute as ever!" He grinned gleefully.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Terushima scanned the stands and said, "He doesn't seem to be here so you must be single now, right? Can I have your number?"

Before she could reply to him, Rina abruptly stepped in between the two of them.

"Excuse me... Who are you?" She raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"You're cute too!" Terushima stated, earning laughs from his friends who were behind him, "Are all girls from Karasuno this cute?"

Rina clenched her fists, irritated by his unnecessary comments. Before Rina could retaliate, another voice interrupted them.