The Rising Sun

Rein quietly opened Zuko's bedroom door, being sure not to wake him

Rein quietly opened Zuko's bedroom door, being sure not to wake him. He remained in a deep sleep, small snores escaping his parted lips. She tiptoed across the room to the large bookshelf filled with endless information on the Fire Nation and their bending. As she read countless titles, she settled on a book about the Water Tribes. When she opened the cover, out fell a necklace, making a small clatter as it hit the steel floor. Rein braced for impact, fearing Zuko would wake up from the noise but instead he cuddled deeper into his blanket.

Her knees cracked as she bent down to retrieve the piece of jewelry. It looked very familiar but she couldn't figure out where she had seen it before. Rein approached the mirror on the wall with the necklace in hand.

Little did Rein know, she did wake up the Prince but he decided to remain silent and watch the airbender roam around his room. His heart warmed as he watched Kireina lift the jewelry to her neck, clasping it around her throat and making poses in the mirror.

"It looks nice on you." Zuko muttered in his raspy tired voice. Rein squealed in shock, jumping away from her reflection and falling onto the floor.

"Damn it, Zuko. You scared me!"

He chuckled, "You're in my room, Reina. I think it belongs to the Water Tribe girl your brother is traveling with. I found it at the Earthbender Prison yesterday."

"It's Katara's? I knew I've seen it before somewhere." Rein sighed and gently placed her hand on the jewel. She walked up to the mirror again, gazing at her reflection. She jolted in surprise when Zuko's face appeared behind her. His hair wasn't in his usual ponytail since he was sleeping causing small tendrils of his black hair to fall in front of his eyes. "Your hair looks nice down."

Zuko blushed at the compliment, looking down at the ground to hide his red face. He hated how much he enjoyed Kireina's presence. She was an airbender, absolute scum in the eyes of the Fire Nation but he couldn't help the way he felt when she was around him. He was so used to controlling his emotions but whenever she was around, Zuko was helpless. If any other person barged into his room without permission he would have blown up at them, but when he opened his eyes to see Kireina he was filled with joy.

"I plan to return it to her." Zuko spoke, staring at Rein's reflection. She moved her hands up to unclasp the necklace, fumbling with the small metal blindly. Zuko took this chance to push her long hair to the side and undo it himself. His fingers brushed against her bare skin, causing goosebumps to erupt all over which Zuko noticed. He was pleased to know he made her feel the same way she made him.

"I find it funny that you hid it in a book about the Water Tribes. That's either the greatest hiding spot or the worst and I can't tell." Rein giggled.

"Don't judge me!" Zuko playfully scowled at her. "I'm starting to think we should set you up with your own bookcase in your quarters. That way you don't come waking me up in the middle of the night."