Back To The City

"We're heading back to the city in half an hour." Miss Medda told us.

I mean, she did say that we're going to be here for a few days. I thought to myself. Anne looked bummed out, Crutchie was lost in thought, and Elmer was relieved. I'm excited to go back to the city.

"So, go pack up your things." She nodded in dismissal, and the  of us went upstairs. All me, Elmer, and Crutchie had to do was put our stuff into our selling bags. When we got upstairs, we went into our separate rooms.

"You happy ta go back?" Elmer asked and he shoved his clothes into his bag.

"Uh-huh." I replied, doing the same thing. "You?"

"Definitely." The black haired boy nodded. "And done."

A few seconds later, I finished as well. "Me too."

"I's gonna go see how Crutchie's doin' on packin'." He told me as he left. I decided to make the bed. It's the courteous thing to do. By the time I was finished, both Crutchie and Elmer were in the room. "Hi."

"Hi." Crutchie replied stiffly.

"What's wrong?" They both seemed off.

"Anne." Elmer told me quietly.

"She made a move on me." Crutchie muttered.

"Ain't that good?" My eyes widened.

"Wrong move." The lame boy shook his head. "Like she made a move ta me and took my crutch."

"She did?" I gasped.

"She didn't believe that I's can't walk without it." He said bitterly.

"When I's came, she was across the room with his crutch, and he was on the floor." Elmer informed me, slinging his bag over his shoulder. Crutchie had his own on his. I did the same thing and headed down. All three of us sat down on the couch and waited. Anne stood at the top of the stairs, looking at Crutchie expectantly.

"Ahem." She crossed her arms.

"What?" His eyes shot up to her.

"Do you expect me to carry this huge trunk down by myself?" Anne said in a duh tone.

"You's would prob'ly do a betta job than I would." Crutchie smiled, tapping his crutch.

"Oh, come on!" She curly black haired girl threw her head back.

"Anne, I ain't lyin' when I's sayin' he's got polio." I told her flatly.

"Sure." She didn't believe me.

"I's'll do it." Elmer muttered, standing and going up the stairs. He then picked up the trunk and carried it down. Anne watched in awe at his rippling muscles. I rolled my eyes.

"Is everyone ready?" Miss Medda asked, walking into the room. We all nodded. "Good. Let's get our things in, and go."

Anne wheeled her trunk out, and we followed close behind with our selling bags. Medda closed and locked the door behind us. The carriage was already pulled up, so Anne and Medda put their trunks in the back. Me, Elmer, and Crutchie had our on our laps. We sat in different seats than last time. I was next to Anne, and Elmer with Crutchie. Anne wouldn't talk to any of us.

Good. I didn't really want to talk to her. I thought. This is gonna be a long ride.

I kept my eyes glued to the direction we were headed, waiting for buildings to line the horizon. When it did happen, the city came faster than I thought it would. We arrived at the theatre. Anne and Medda took their trunks, and the three Newsies stepped out.

Thanks you for coming." Miss Medda told us sincerely.

"Yeah." Anne smiled in mock sweetness. "It really was a pleasure."

"Thanks for havin' us." I smiled warmly. Medda nodded, and we were on our way. It was around noon at this point, so we ran into a few of the boys. Finch, Specs, Albert, and Smalls. They were all excited to see us. As soon as we got to the Lodging House, we went to our rooms and put our stuff away.