¤ Severed Ties ¤

¤ Killian ¤

I looked down at Valerie as she cuddled closer into my chest, her hand snaking around my waist to tug me as close as possible.

There was a soft sigh, followed by a long indulging intake of breath against my neck as she slowly fell asleep with me on the couch.

With my finger tracing delicate lines along her back, bit by bit, the crease in her eyebrows began to dissipate. I couldn't help but wear a small smile as I brushed her hair back and rested my chin at the top of her head.

But despite the blissed out silence and the contentment to have everything I ever wanted in my arms, I was reminded that this was never going to last.

Moments like this were fleeting. I had to revel in it, because I knew that I wasn't going to be with her for long. If I was being shadowed by the figures from my past, I couldn't risk Valerie's life by dragging her along with me. 

The rapture that followed her presence was short lived, especially when I knew we weren't safe just yet.

I could feel the dread looming over my head, overshadowing my smile with a look of despondency as my hands stopped moving along her skin, and I was yanked out of the blissful spell of the moment.

If wanted to make sure that Valerie, along with everyone else in the pack doesn't get hurt at my expense, I knew I had to hand myself in, and the plaguing idea of it being inevitable left me with barely any sleep.

By the crack of dawn, I slowly pulled myself away from Valerie, careful not to shake her out of her sleep. 

I silently got dressed and headed out to venture into Eli's pack in the East.

It wasn't enough to say that my presence was unwelcome. I couldn't count how many snarls had been sent my way as I walked through Eli's territory with his border patrol shadowing me.

"Alpha Killian," Eli greeted with a smile as he welcomed my approach. He glanced at his assigned border patrols behind me and nodded his head to dismiss them. 

"What brings you here alone?" Eli asked, looking around for anyone else around.

"I'm here to propose a treaty," I said.

His smile grew wider, his interest piqued right away. He jerked his head to another direction, "Follow me."

Eli shut the door behind him as we arrived at his office. He walked around his desk and plopped down on the leathered seat before looking up at me expectantly.

"You know, I still haven't figured out how you managed to overthrow Azeil," He said.

"How'd you do it?" He had a profound look of curiosity on his face, and the manner he questioned me was devoid of any intent to find fault on my side.

"I broke his neck, rendered him immobile for a short while."

Eli's lips twitched as he tried to hide the smirk on his face. He leaned back on his seat and wiped a hand down his face as if to steer himself clear from the joke that was Azeil's unfortunate downfall,  "It's most deserved, I suppose."

"Let's go back to why you're here; about your proposition."

"I need your help," I said, cutting directly to the chase, "Sooner or later, the pack will be infiltrated by outsiders. The entire parameter of our territory has picked several threats, and if I want to ensure that nobody gets hurt, I'll need you to allow my pack more protection."

There was a shift to Eli's features as our conversation sunk to a more serious note, "I want to help you, but that won't be enough because I'll be putting my pack's lives on the line for it. My assistance depends on what you're willing to offer me and why I should help you with your enemies."