17

ROSE

I couldn't remember the last time I was as hungover as I was when I woke up on Saturday morning, the day after Joseph and Evangelia came to hang out with us. Truthfully, I blacked out on the third bottle of wine, after a long discussion of religion with Tobias and Joseph.

''Good morning, sunshine.'' Tobias mocked, as he pulled the curtains. The direct sunlight hit my eyes and I groaned, rolling over to the other side. My head was pounding and the smell that was coming from my mouth was anything but pleasant, alongside the after taste of the old wine.

''Leave me alone,'' I managed to utter out, before clearing my throat. My voice was hoarse, and I felt like I was about to throw up. The alcohol was slowly evaporating, however, it left a bad smell throughout the room, and I was surprised how Tobias never said anything.

A low chuckle came from him, ''No, you're going to get ready and we'll leave in an hour.''

My hand patted the empty mattress next to me, for a while, until I landed on my phone. I blinked, harshly, a few times. A groan slipped past my lips as I saw that it was barely seven in the morning. Not only was it too early, but the more awake I was, the more I felt as if a train had run me over.

Tobias was out of my room before I could ask him more questions. When I turned to the side, a small smile tugged on the corner of my lips. Advil and a glass of water were neatly placed on the bed side table.

It took me around fifteen minutes to pull myself together and actually leave the bed. Shivers washed over me before a boiling shower fixed it. I didn't know where Tobias and I were headed, and I settled on wearing black pants with a black sweater, with black boots. Classic, basic, and I truly didn't care.

I didn't have enough time to blow dry my hair, so I braided two dutch braids and as for makeup, I only added concealer to fix the awful bags underneath my eyes, and some mascara. I was yawning the whole time and was contemplating to simply go back to bed, and ignore Tobias completely.

However, before I could truly act on the thought, a knock came to the door. With an eye roll, I was out of the room, next to Tobias as he waited for me, impatience flashed his face.

''Where are we going?'' I asked, walking down the stairs. He was a few steps behind me, and although the nausea and headache were still present, as his scent filled my nose, all of a sudden I felt slightly better.

Tobias remained passive, ''Church.''

I stopped, turned around and raised a brow, ''What?''

He took a deep breath, took another step down until we were standing on the same one and inched closer towards me, ''You're leaving soon,'' yeah, no need to remind me, ''And I know why you aren't religious, however, it's still my duty to at least try and show you the good sides, and the beauty of our religion. It's up to you if you decide it's something you'd be willing to explore more or not, but at least give it a chance. It's only for one day.''

I sighed, ''Alright, fine.''

All in all, it was fine. Just that. The mass was beautiful, from an outsiders perspective. Tobias stood close to his father during the mass and the resemblance between the two men was insane, despite Tobias being an adopted child.

The amount of people that had gathered for the mass was insane. I never knew how many people this town truly had, and it was somewhat heartwarming seeing them all together. However, no matter how pretty it looked or the fact that I managed to go through the entire thing without falling asleep, for the first time in my life at that, it was still something I found unpleasant. I simply didn't share their values and beliefs and no amount of times attending the mass would change that.