Chapter 14

By some miracle, Grandad began to make a bit of a comeback. 

Sure, he'd lost quite a bit of weight and his natural bronze complexion had taken on a pale tint that didn't suit him. The nausea had subsided, though, and he regained a bit of his natural spark. Some of that Spartan fire had returned, and the dullness had faded from his eyes. 

True to form, he started reading the sci-fi and western novels he loved so much. Mom didn't even fuss when Grandad and I sat in the family room and binge-watched the Star Wars trilogy together. Just him and me.

Because it was rated PG, Mom couldn't object to it even though she hated fiction stories with a passion. Instead, she read a philosophy book on her own in the living room. A gentle smile tugged at her lips. Perhaps it was a sign that she enjoyed seeing the bear return in full force.

"What would you like for your birthday?" asked Grandad during a commercial break. "Only two weeks away now."

"I'd like to see you there," I said in all honesty. "Happy and healthy."

"Yes, of course I'll be there. But what would you like to open?"

"Can it be a gift card? I'd love to get a German book."

"No, it has to be an actual physical present," he said, "Eighteen is an important birthday. I'd like to get you something special that you can use and always think of us when you're at college." 

That's a firm stance. All right...

Asking for things always made me feel a bit self-conscious. My grandparents didn't have a huge amount of money coming in, especially with Grandad's recent illness. They had a decent pension and Social Security, but they also had a small mortgage. 

It cost a lot of money to raise a kid, especially because they'd chosen a Catholic school. Private schools cost about three thousand a year. Just for high school. 

I didn't want to cause them even more stress by asking for things. Since I hadn't been eating much, I'd put quite a bit of money to one side, allowing me to buy my own books.

"I'd really love one of two things," I said with a shy smile. "But they're a bit expensive, though."

"We'll make an exception this year."

Staring at my hands, I said, "I don't know. I feel kind of guilty."

"Anything under two hundred bucks," he said. "Ask for it, and it's yours. As long as it's safe and healthy."

Wow, that's a carte blanche.

Don't take advantage, Jess.

"I'd love to get contacts," I said, readjusting my glasses. "I haven't had a change of prescription now for two years, so my eyes have settled down enough for that."

"That's a really good idea." Grandad cupped his mouth in thought. "Anything else?"

"A cell phone so that I can keep in touch while I'm in college," I said. "It's also good for an emergency, like if you need a taxi or something, or for meeting friends."

"You know, that's not half-bad either."

"Finally I have some good ideas." I grinned. "Usually I have no idea what the heck I want."

"I'll talk to your grandmother and see what we can manage," he said in a gruff whisper as a faint smile curled his lips. "Maybe she won't kick up a fuss now that I'm old and sick."

"Oh, stop it! You'll be fine."

He nodded. "Haven't kicked the bucket yet."

Leave it to Grandad to have a dark sense of humor.