42. Meet.

Chapter 42: Meet.

"I mean it looks great but it doesn't scream "fuck you bitch"." Adam tells me and I let out a tired sigh.

We've been at the mall for three hours now and I still can't find a dress to wear.

My father had the audacity to ask me to have dinner with him and his mistress and my mother forced me to say yes. She said something about scoping out the competition.

I really don't understand how she thinks.

"I've tried on seven dresses already, Adam." I whine.

"Do you want to make a good first impression or not?" He asks me, placing his hands on his waist.

"I don't want to go." I tell him.

"Well, you're going, so we better find a dress and wrap this up." Adam says as he starts searching through the store.

"How about this one?" He says, holding up a white strapless gown.

"Am I attending my wedding after?" I ask him sarcastically.

"It's cute." He says and I roll my eyes at him.

"Come on. At least just try it." He pesters on.

"Fine, but after this, we get back to looking for a real dress." I tell him, snatching the dress from his hands.

"No need to get aggressive." He says, staring at me.

I ignore him as I walk inside the changing room. I unzip my yellow blouse and I take off my blue-washed jeans.

I try on the white dress and I have to say, I look smoking. The off-shoulder design flatters my collarbone and accentuates my bust. Not that I had much of it anyway. I walk out of the dressing room and Adam just stares at me, stunned.

"Are you having an erection or something?" I ask him.

"U-um, you look...great." He says, scratching the back of his head.

"Great?" I ask him.

"Yeah. It suits you." He tells me.
"We're getting this one." He tells the saleswoman.

"Says who?" I ask him and the saleswoman stops her movements and stares at me.

Adam waves her off and she walks towards the counter.

"Trust me." Adam says, massaging my back. I swat his arm away.

"Get your hands off me." I joke as I walk back into the changing room.

***

"Oh, you're back." My mother squeals.

Why is she so happy?

"Well, someone's in a giddy mood." I tell her, placing the shopping bag by the steps.

"Come would ya." She says, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards the living room.

There's a vanity mirror where the coffee table used to be. A woman in a Sari stands beside it smiling at me.

"Valarie, this is Aarti." She tells me.

"Hi." I say, waving at her.

"Hello." She says with a thick British accent.

I was not expecting that.

I thought she was going to have an Indian accent.

Guess, you can't judge 'em by their looks anymore.

"Wow." I say, taken off guard.