XXXVIII

"Lina, stop trying to move so fast," Harry says, my body stopping my movements as I sit on the hospital bed. I'm not in pain, but rather annoyed. He still won't tell me what happened; it's ridiculous.

"I just want to go home," I sigh, his hand holding mine. Harry looks at me, my lips pressing in a straight line. He looks worse than I do, but that's because he was the one who was initially inflicted. It's interesting to see what happens to both of us when he gets in fights. It's not fun, but it's interesting.

"The doctor just has to discharge us then we can go back to either your house or mine. But I don't want to leave you on your own. I fucked up," he tries, brushing his thumb along my surely bruised cheek. At least it doesn't hurt.

"Just tell me what happened and I'll stop being pissed," I say, looking into his green eyes. I'm not all that pissed, but I'm very good at letting it on that I am. It's a bad habit I should really try to break.

"I'm not going to tell you because it'll make you even more pissed," he tries and I lift my hand to his wrist, pulling his hand off my cheek. I stare at him, his jaw clenching.

"Who the hell did you beat up?" I ask, his eyes looking away from me. My hand grabs his chin and I force him to look at me, his lips pressed tightly together.

"Lina," he whispers, my head leaning closer to his to stare further into his eyes.

"Tell me," I state, his head shaking while I still hold my chin. I press my forehead onto his and repeat my words, his head shaking again.

"I'm really upset," I say, leaning back on the bed. He stands up and runs his hand through his hair, my head leaning back on the pillow.

"Alright, Alina, how are you feeling?" the doctor says as he walks in. I tell him I feel fine and we get ready to go, Harry helping me off the bed. My hand holds his and he leads us towards my apartment, my hand unlocking the door. I set my keys and phone on the counter and walk towards my room.

"Your father," Harry says, my body turning around. He's running his fingers through his hair and I feel my heart stop for a moment. "He came to the bar. Punched me and shit. He's fucked up Lina. He said he only beat me up because everything he did to me," he trails off, my lips parting. My father is a seriously fucked up man.

"He did to me," I piece together, Harry looking at the floor. My lips release a sigh and I run my fingers through my hair. I walk towards him and he opens his arms, wrapping them around me. He moves one hand to my head and holds my head to his neck, resting his head on mine.

"I want to take all the hits, but you'll just get hurt too," he whispers, my eyes squeezing shut. He's doing everything he can to make sure I'm not going to see my father, but at the same time, any type of physical pain Harry experiences, I do too.

It means a lot to me that he's looking out for me, because I know what my father has done. He's harmed my mom and myself more than I lead on, but he's been out of my life for ten years. I'm a stronger woman and I'm not going to let him hurt me.

"I'm just trying to look out for you," he tells me, brushing his thumb against my hair. I sigh, lifting my head to look at him. He kisses my forehead and I let him go, my mind racing a mile a minute.

"I, um, need to call someone," I tell him, his head nodding. He informs me he's going to go lay on my bed and I tell him I'll be there in a moment. He kisses my cheek and lets me go, my hand grabbing my phone from the counter. It's nearing six in the morning; early enough to know she's up.

I bite my lower lip as I await an answer, hearing the tone dial a few times.

"Hello," I hear her state firmly, my eyes closing as I sigh.

"Mom," I say, trying not to give away too much of my fear. If he's back, the least I can do is let her know. She's my mom.

"Alina, I have not spoken to you in a while," she tells me, as if I hadn't already known. I lean against the counter and put my other hand to my face.

"I know," I sigh out, not knowing how to bring up a topic like my father. She's been through far worse treatment from him than I have, but I don't want to spring it on her.

"Do you need something? You really shouldn't call here anymore. I can't help you," she starts and I press my lips together. Her words don't hurt; it's what I'm about to say that does.

"He's back," I say quietly, the other end of the line going silent. I can tell she's piecing it together and I squeeze my eyes shut, allowing silent tears to fall.

"I only saw him once; I haven't seen him since. He, um, he beat up my soulmate. But he only did it to hurt me," I explain, her curse heard across the phone. I can tell she has no idea how to respond, my heart hammering in my chest. I haven't talked to my mother in years, and the first thing we talk about is her ex-husband; my father.

"Alina, do you want to come home? I've moved and everything so I can give you an address. He won't be here," she explains, and I'm shocked at how welcoming she seems. I treated her like shit and I still can't believe after all this time, figuring she hates me, that she would initially allow me to come home.

I guess that's what happens when your only child gets taunted and hurt by her father.

"I don't want to intrude. You kicked me out for a reason," I breathe out, a hand setting on my arm. I feel Harry wrap his arms around me from behind and he sets his chin near my ear.

"Just come here. I'll set up the extra bedroom," she tells me, Harry lifting a hand to my head. He holds me close and kisses my temple, my body reacting to his caring behavior.

"Can I bring someone?" I ask, trying so hard not to overstep but I can't stay in this apartment much longer. I also can't bear to be away from Harry. He was only trying to make sure I was okay; he wanted me safe.

"I guess. I'll send you the address," she tells me, hanging up the phone shortly after.

I set my phone on the counter and turn to face Harry, his hand lifting to my cheeks. He pushes my hair behind my shoulders and looks down at me.

"I want you to come with me," I tell him, his lips pressed into a line.

"I will, but I don't want to stay long. I can't overstep much; I don't know her," he tells me, my head nodding.

"I don't want to stay long either. She doesn't want me around for long; I know that," I explain, his arms pulling me into him. My lips press into a firm line and I press my forehead into his neck.

"I think we both want to make sure that everything gets sorted out. He can't come back here and do this shit. He's not coming the fuck back into your life," he tells me, holding my head to his chest.

"I don't know what to do," I admit, his arms just holding me close. I don't know what else I could say. There is a whirlwind of emotions running through me and I'm trying to be as independent figuring them out, but I can't when it comes to my father. He's ruined more than enough things in my life and I can't ruin anything else. Especially Harry, but I could never admit that.