Chapter 23:

"Conclusion," Junjie declares as they walk towards Sera's house. "This is clearly beyond my level of complication." 

"So, you can't help me?" Sera asks. 

Honestly, she doesn't really care about this merperson case anymore, since obviously people with tails don't exist but if it gives her an excuse to spend more time with Junjie. . . 

Junjie shrugs. "With all the evidence we have and the fact that we're talking about a merperson, it seems almost impossible," he says. "Almost." 

"Almost?" Sera echoes, reaching the front gate. 

"Yes." Junjie's eyebrows furrow together. "I think I might know someone who can help us. Just a warning, though, he's a bit eccentric." 

"Seriously? There's someone who believes in merpeople out here?" 

"Quite a few, if you'll believe it. Anyway, I'll wait for you after school and we can walk together. It's not too far." 

Sera's heart quickens a little at the word "we". 

"Alright," she finally says. "See you tomorrow." 

You know," he starts, "I can be a jerk sometimes and I just wanted to say that if I'm ever acting stuck-up, just tell me." 

Sera looks up at him, startled by the sudden change of subject. 

"I'm not good with this stuff," Junjie admits hesitantly. "With feelings and stuff. I try to avoid that at every cost. It's the one thing I can't really put my finger on." 

Sera tilts her head, waiting for him to continue. 

"I like understanding things," he says with a shrug. "I guess it's just in my nature. The thing is, I'm terrible at this kind of stuff. Relationships, I mean." 

Sera laughs. 

"Isn't that everyone?" she asks, before smirking. "Who knew the great Junjie is afraid of things like relationships?" 

"Oh, hush," Junjie retorts, though there's a clear smile on his lips. "It's just, it doesn't come naturally to me—" 

Sera kisses him. 

"What was that for?" Junjie asks. 

"You were embarrassing yourself," Sera replies, a twinkle in her eyes. "Plus, I needed you to shut up." 

"Touché." 

Finally, Junjie sighs. "I'm not joking," he says, smile vanishing once more. "I'm serious, if I do anything to botch us up, just punch me in the face." 

"What?" Sera sputters. "Why would you want me to punch you?" 

"Because I'm not good enough for you," he whispers, a touch of sadness in his voice. "I think you and I both know that." 

"You're—" 

"There are certain things I don't want you, or anyone, to know. So if the past does come up, just punch me, promise?" 

"I can't promise that." 

"And why not?" There's a fierce undercurrent of challenge as Junjie speaks those words. "Why not, Sera?" 

"Because that's wrong and stupid and I can never hate you!" 

Junjie scoffs, clearly thinking the opposite. 

"You'll hate me later," he says, before glancing at the dark sky. "It's getting late. I should go." 

Sera nods reluctantly.