Chapter 14:

The city was louder than usual, making my senses swirl uncontrollably.

Not to mention the fact that I was clinging on to Arc as I limped down the street. He offered to carry me again, but the thought would be too embarrassing for me to handle, and so, I persisted I walked.

I noticed some people glancing at me rather curiously, but chose to just avoid their gaze, my face growing redder and redder.

I knew they would assume the worst, and I couldn't do anything to change that. But hey, at least I wasn't being carried.

"Just one more street and we'll be there." Arc promised, sending me a kind smile. I nodded in reply, and forced a smile.

It was hard. With the fear of being caught again, and the paranoia that ran loose forcing me to worry, I could only attempt to stay calm.

"And.... we're here!" He announced.

I looked up, a little confused. "You live... here?"

"No, silly! Why would I bring you to my home? I'm a suspect, so they'll come straight to my place. This, is a friend's."

I nodded. "Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking...."

Arc laughed, but when I saw the nervous flick his eyes made, my heart clenched.

He was just as scared as I was. I cringed at the thought of being in his shoes.

He had a lot to lose. Sure, I would lose my freedom, but he was helping me for no particular reason.

"Well, come on in! Your leg probably aches right now."

I nodded. "That, would be an understatement."

My mood lifted as we joked around. I had taken to him so quickly, though that was a common trait of mine. Taking to those I barely met.
A shred of kindness is shown, and I sacrifice my wellbeing.

"This, is Peter. Peter, this is Cody."

I had no idea how to react. I simply stared at the man in front of me, my eyes wide, like a deer caught in the headlights.

A snicker broke my trance. I looked behind Peter and noticed a girl. She was covering her mouth as she giggled.

The gesture came off a little rude, but I couldn't say a word.

I was simply intimidated. Peter wasn't an average guy. A giant peered down at me, making feel like a bean in comparison. He could crush me like a can in less than 30 seconds.

As I sat at the doorway, tongue-tied, the three stared at me, waiting for a response.

Every single one of them looked slight amused.

C'mon.... say something...!

"I'm here." I mumbled.

The blood instantly drained from my face as I realized what I said.

Before I knew it, all three of the bursted out laughing, and I frowned.

I sat in the middle, simply watching, lost.

A hand was set on my shoulder and I looked at the owner.

"You don't have to be so nervous, you know? Pete's not that scary."

I stared at the girl, tongue-tied. I just nodded before looking at Peter. I stuck my hand out, and merely stared at him, eyes wide.

He took my hand and shook it, a kind smile easing the tension a little. The girl held here out, and I shook it as well.

"And this is Laura, Pete's girlfriend."

I nodded and she smiled. "People always react like that when they see Pete for the first time." She said, a knowing smile spreading.

"Mhm....." I hummed, looking to Arc.

"Thanks again, you two. He's in desperate need of somewhere to stay, and you two were the only people I could think of."

Laura waved her hand. "No problem. We were a bit worried when you told us the situation, and even though it was rather sudden, I'm glad we agreed."

I fumbled with the bottom of my shirt, my heart thumping loudly.

"Alright well, I'm gonna get going. I have a few things I still have to sort."

And with a quick wave, he was gone.

Laura neared me and took my hands in hers. "Listen, Cody, I know what you're going through right now is hard, but we'll help keep you hidden no matter what it takes. Okay?"

I nodded, well aware that my face had become even redder.

She smiled and nodded before glancing at Peter. The two had some sort of silent conversation, using just their eyes and she smiled again.

She nudged her head and led me to a bedroom. "This is where you'll be staying. Sorry it's not so big...."

I shook my head, a nervous smile smearing on my face. "It's fine! This is too much, in fact!"

A barely noticed the small smile that lasted just a second on Peter's face.

Laura nodded, seemingly satisfied at my answer.

"Listen, if you need to talk, the both of us are here. Also, if you need something, please tell us. We can't have you risking any chance of being found."

I nodded, my eyes flickering between the two awaiting any other rule.

"Alright then! I'll tell you when the food's ready, so if you'd like to clean up..."

I nodded almost immediatley, missing the cleanliness I use to feel.

Laura pointed to a bathroom. "It's right over there."

I nodded and walked over to it, barely containing my excitement.

I closed the door softly and smiled at the large bathtub.

I practically squealed as I turned on the water and jumped right it, not even bothering to let the water heat up.

It was like I had become a new person, or like a baptism. I was removing all the past memories that haunted me.

The sight of that... place...

My eyes shut tightly as I remembered the sight. The chains hanging from the ceiling, the boy's scattered among the floor, all nude.

I had an idea of what was on that side of the house, but never knew it was that horrific. I had prayed that I would never befall such a fate.

And just as I was about to, I ran away.

My heart clenched as the bath water finally warmed.

I had to remind myself that I wasn't there anymore. I was here....

I was safe. And there were more people on my side than I originally thought.

Like... David....

I looked to my left and grabbed the shampoo, squeezing it till it squirted out a reasonable amount of shampoo.

I then massaged it into my hair, loving the feeling.

I let it fuse with my hair before rinsing it off.

Just then, a subtle knock grabbed my attention.

A:N// Hey everyone! Again, sorry for the super late chapters! Like I said, I was quite busy with all sorts of things and barely had time. Thanks for reading! ❤