2: Training and Pro-bending

"The day Korra came to Republic City, I knew things were going to change. Whether it was for better or for worse, I didn't know yet. Mom didn't approve of her, and every time I'd mention her, Mom's eyes would roll so far back in her head, I was sure she could see another dimension."

"Mom, I've already mastered the elements," Ally grumbled. "Why are you forcing me to go to Air Temple Island to train with Tenzin?" 

"Because, it'll be good for you," Lin said as she boarded a boat, that would take them to this island. "And you can see your siblings."

"Half-siblings," Ally corrected. "I am only HALFWAY related to those devils, except Jinora, she's awesome." She grumbled the entire way to the island, making little sculptures out of rocks and metal she found on the ferry. When they got to Air Temple Island, they were greeted by Air Acolytes, non-benders who helped around the temple. They escorted Ally to a training area where Tenzin and the others were, his three kids, Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo. 

"Alice?" Tenzin asked. "What a wonderful surprise."

"Ally," Ally mumbled. She looked straight ahead at the contraption in front of her. They looked like banners made out of wood and carved with elaborate decorations. They stood in holes in the cement so they could rotate or spin. 

"Hey, Ally," Korra said happily. "Ready to start training?"

"Ally has already mastered airbending," Tenzin explained. "She's just here to train a bit."

"Oh," Korra looked a bit disappointed. "Well, when do we start?" 

"Now," Tenzin said. He pointed his arms at the contraption and a gust of wind exploded from his hands. The banners started spinning, they looked light and fragile, but if you were hit by one, it hurt. "Ally would you like to show Korra how it's done?" Ally shrugged and put her hands in front of her, walking lightly on the balls of her feet. She wove her way through the spinning wood like a leaf, drifting with the wind. When she got to the other side, she stuck her arms out and blew the wood to spin again. Korra ran into the contraption, bouncing off wood after wood until she got hit in the face and fell out of the contraption with a thud. Ally grimaced and helped her up.

That night, Ally went home but had to return the next morning for more training in meditation and relaxation. They sat in an open gazebo that faced out towards the ocean. She assumed the lotus position and put her fists together, right above her stomach. She tried to focus on the rushing of the waves and her breathing, but the talking around her caused her to open her eyes and sigh. Korra wasn't taking training seriously, and would up and leave when things didn't go her way.

One night, Korra snuck out and went to the Pro Bending Arena, where she met Mako and Bolin, brothers. They were part of a team called the Fire Ferrets and played Pro Bending matches to win cash. Mako was older, tall and skinny with dark hair and brown eyes, a firebender. Bolin was a bit shorter with a muscular figure, brown hair, and sea-green eyes to show he was an earthbender. The next day, Korra gave up on airbending and destroyed the airbending contraption with firbending. Tenzin almost had a heart attack, as he yelled at Korra for destroying a 2,000-year-old artifact. Ally decided to skip that day, luckily she did, she never did well with yelling. 

When she was young, Lin attempted to send Ally to a regular school, against her better judgment. Through weeks of anxiety, she finally started to realize it was for the best until the first month passed. Ally started to be severely bullied and would lose control of her abilities, scaring everyone. Lin pulled her out of school because Ally would come home every day, crying. She resorted to homeschooling, doing the best she could while working a full-time job as the police chief. She practically raised Ally that the police station, giving her hands-on experience in the force. She became a police officer by 16, thanks to a little bit of rule-bending. Lin kept her daughter's police identity secret, in order to have her as a secret weapon. To the world, she was just the Avatar and a teenager, but to Lin and the police force, she was one of the best officers they had. Gifted in metalbending, and earthbending she was nimble and quick, a perfect officer. She was their secret weapon, and Lin aimed to keep it that way.