Chapter 19: Boys' Night

It's not every day that you accidentally eavesdrop on your best friend and your captain shagging like dogs in heat, at least not for Emery

Earlier this night was, to say the least, traumatizing. He had to endure sitting from across Bryce and Ian on the dinner table while the two played footsies with their bare feet. It's bad enough that he can't find a way to erase the sound of Ian's moans from his memory, and every time that grim scene replays in his head, it takes everything from him not to snap a twig in half and kill himself with it.

"You just hate being proved wrong," Blake interjected as he huffed at Asher, open palms hovering over the small bonfire that took them hours to lit.

"No, I hate being told I'm wrong when I'm right," Asher hissed at him, then turned back to smile at Ian. "Say, Ian... you've dated guys right?"

Ian was surprised at the sudden question. "A few, yeah."

"You've dated guys from school?" Asher asked again.

Emery chuckled. "Why, Ash? Are you sending an application?"

Asher raised a finger in front of the redhead's face and continued speaking. "Shut up, Red," he said as Emery swatted his hand away. "Ian, answer my question."

"Yeah, I've dated people from school, Ash. What's with all the questions?" Ian asked.

"We were just having a harmless discussion about who dated who, then Mr. I-Know-More-Than-God-Himself-Does here insisted that your first boyfriend was not Beau Hale. I told him he was wrong because, well, he was, then he threw his shoe at me," Blake ranted. "Talk about violence."

"Who the hell is Beau Hale?" Ian asked, confused.

"Ha!" Asher jumped, pointing his finger at Blake as he laughed. "You're wrong! I fucking knew it."

Blake rolled his eyes, unfazed. "You dated him a year ago and he broke up with you on Valentine's so you filled his shampoo bottle with marinara sauce," he pointed out, which made Ian twist his face in realization.

"Oh yeah," he chuckled, reminiscing the memory. "God, he was so pissed. How'd you know about that?"

"Word travels." Blake shrugged. "So?" he wondered, smirking at Asher.

"Yeah, I remember that asshole but no he wasn't my first boyfriend," Ian said with a gloomy sigh.

Blake's face fell just as Asher's did the opposite. He sat straight, tone filled with conviction as he taunted, "Oh I wonder what shame feels like."

"I knew Jordan Lewis was your first boyfriend because I was there at the winter formal two years ago and I saw you guys kissed," Asher announced artfully. "I was sitting on one of the bleachers and you guys were in the middle of the dance floor getting all lovey-dovey."

Bryce threw a pebble at him, interrupting his venture as his eyes darted on Asher's marshmallow stick that was slowly turning into just a stick. "You're wasting good marshmallow," he said. "Can we talk about something else?"