016. back in the mix

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
sixteen.『 back in the mix 』

『 back in the mix 』

      NOTHING. She felt nothing as she lied on the floor, her hair spread out underneath her as she simply did both, staring at the ceiling and trying to block out all thought. All she wanted was to feel numb and she was tempted to go and find the liquor, as a few feet away from her Stephanie did exactly that, sitting and leaning against the wall, a dazed look in her eyes as she stared forward into the emptiness. In the background, the holographic image was still playing despite Indie's attempts to get it to stop, continuing to roll as if it was mocking her. It seemed very likely that it was.

With a burst of cold air the door burst open as Indie had been expecting. It was part of the reason she wasn't drinking, so she could be in the right mindset when her sister inevitably ran in in a panicked frenzy. She closed her eyes though at the sound, still unmoving, and if you had been watching from a distance, it would look like she was dead, but her chest continued to rise and fall steadily, even if she wished it didn't in the moment.

Katherine dashed over to check on Indie, bending down over her and getting a good look at her face. There were tear tracks on Katherine's cheeks as Indie looked back up at her, not really knowing what to say in a situation like this, so she just lied no her back, suddenly wishing the bottle of liquor was in her own hand. God, she couldn't deal with the hovering her sister was doing at the moment.

All she wanted was to feel nothing.

Indie breathed heavily as she ran a lap around the District. It had been months since the announcement had been made and she had started to train along with the other victors for when they went back in. Technically they weren't supposed to train but at this point no one cared anymore. After corresponding with a few victors in other districts, she had come to the conclusion that those she talked to were also taking time to train, prepare for the moment they entered the battle field and could possibly die.

It was the day of the Seventy Fifth Reaping. The Reaping that would decide the fates of her friends. Of her family. All night, Indie had been unable to sleep and so she had gotten up early. Even now the sun was barely peaking above the horizon as a cold thin layer of wear covered her skin.

She slowed to a walk upon reaching the community of victors and noticed both Stephanie and Zach sitting on the stairs of one of the houses. Stephanie held a cigarette in her hand and Zach held a bottle of beer. She nodded in their direction as they lounged on the steps and both have stiff nods back, all clearly anxious of what the day would bring.

The pair hadn't been as focused on training as the others, Stephanie telling her it would be what it would be. Indie could tell they'd given up at this point.