Chapter 2 - Mila

I want to slap myself for thinking this evening couldn't get any worse.

First, I embarrass myself by shamelessly feeling up a stranger. Then, after a very unexpected and steamy makeout session with said handsome stranger, I run away like the coward I am.

And now, after hoping I'd never had to see this man ever again, I actually have no other choice than to contact him somehow, just to get my goddamn phone back.

"What the hell is wrong with me?" I munch on my pancakes, finding solace in the sweet taste on my tongue.

I can't even run after him anymore. He probably already drove home, wondering why on earth he even decided to give me a ride, and why he thought kissing me would be a good idea.

"There you are! Oh my God, you scared the shit out of me!" Jasmine interrupts my self-pity session by slamming the door shut, her voice echoing through our apartment as I realize I completely forgot about texting her. Goddammit.

"Shit. I'm sorry, Jas. You won't believe what—" I start, but she immediately interrupts me by running into my arms, her strong figure hugging me tightly while I struggle to breathe.

"I don't care about that! I'm so glad you're okay! I got the notification for the tracking app on my phone and then it suddenly stopped, so I thought..."

"Wait...what app?"

"What? Oh! Well, when you gave me your phone, I started that tracking app I installed a few weeks ago. It notifies me about your location."

My eyes widen at her words. "You know where my phone is?"

"What? Why don't you know where your phone is?" She seems absolutely rattled.

"Long story! Just open that app and show me, please."

She raises an eyebrow but finally fiddles in her purse until she finds her phone and hands it to me. "What are you even doing?"

"Finding out where my goddamn phone is!" I don't pay her any attention, my eyes only on the screen in my hands, trying to find my phone. I might at least be able to pick it up tomorrow morning...

"What? Where?" Her words become background noises as soon as I see the notification popping up at the top of the screen.

Error: Phone cannot be located. Make sure the device is powered and GPS is turned on.

And just like that, my hopes and dreams come crashing down on me, because right at this moment I remember my phone battery was low when I last looked at it. "Shit. It must've died."

"Mila!" Jas waves her hand in front of me, pulling me out of my thoughts and making me look up at her. "What the hell happened?"

I sigh as I pat the spot next to me, urging her to sit down for this one. I fill her in on every little detail, including my awkward self, feeling this stranger up before we made out in his expensive car.

"Okay, okay. Wait. You made out with a hot, rich guy and then took his phone?" The amusement is clear in her voice.

"What? I didn't take his phone! I accidentally grabbed his instead of mine."

Jasmine smirks. "I don't see how that's bad."

"How on earth is that not mind-blowingly bad to you?"

A sly grin crosses her face when she wiggles her eyebrows at me, clapping her hands in pure excitement. "Because now you have to get in touch with him! How cool is that? The guy was clearly into you! I mean, he could've just waited for a cab with you, but instead, he insisted on taking you home himself. That's a completely different thing."

"You're reading too much into this. Maybe he was just polite." I pace around the room, trying to think of the next move. "Jas, can you call him?" I blurt out.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean call my number and see if he picks up!"

"Mila, you just said your battery must have died." My best friend arches her brows, obviously unable to understand my train of thought.

"Yeah, well...leave a message."

"Mimi." She rolls her eyes at me. "I will not leave a message. You can do that yourself."

"Jas..." I whine. "You know I hate calling people."

"Yeah, well, too bad. Just take his phone and dial your number. That way he knows you're not pranking him or something when you leave the message."

Looking at the phone in my hands, I know she's right, yet again. I have to do this. I'm twenty-seven years old, for God's sake. "Yeah, you're right. Okay." I sigh while dialing my number and press the call button. Unsurprisingly, the phone goes to voicemail. Anxiety immediately takes over, my sweaty hands and dry mouth once again proving I am not made for phone calls or social interactions in general.

"This is the voicemail of Mila Lyne. Please leave a message after the beep. Thank you!"

Beep.

"Oh my God, that sounds awful. Oh, shit. Hey, this is, uh...this is Mila. You drove me home tonight? Brown hair, glasses, clumsy behavior... Ahem. Well, I, uh, I think I grabbed your phone instead of mine earlier in the car, and I, uh...I kind of need it back. Maybe just message me, or rather yourself, and I can come pick it up sometime? Thanks!"

Jasmine stifles a laugh when I slam the phone on my table, covering my face with my hands with a groan. "Oh my God, why am I this way?"

"Well, I think it sounded cute," she tries to console me. "God, I wish you'd show a picture or something. How hot is he? Eight? Nine?" When I don't answer, her eyes widen, a squeal escaping her throat before she speaks two octaves higher than usual. "Ten?"

"Jeez, calm down, Jas." I roll my eyes, but my body betrays me as I think back to that makeout session with the handsome stranger. The mere memory of his lips on mine awakens something in me I haven't felt for a long time. Or, like, ever. "But yeah, I'd say he was a solid ten," I answer.

"Wow. I really need to see that guy."

"I told you, I'm not letting you invade his privacy by snooping around his phone. Besides, I'll never see him again once I get my phone back, anyway."

"That's exactly why I need to see him, Mimi!"

"Nope, not having it. I'm freaking out enough as is. I don't need a guilty conscience on my mind for sniffing around in his phone."

"Ugh. You're such a good girl sometimes."

"Yeah, well, that good girl made pancakes and even left you some." I grin at her.

Jasmine immediately jumps up, her eyes darting to the kitchen in an instant. "Oh my God, I love you!"