King Pascal, Part 4/4

A sudden blast of fire from the Firefly comes a little too close to the guys. Eugene pulls out his sword, and attempts to stab the bug in the abdomen. But its skin is too thick, and his attack is futile. Spotting Rapunzel, he waves. "Hey, Blondie! Looks like you made some new friends."

"You know me, never met a stranger," Rapunzel replies.

The Firefly spouts more fire at Eugene, but he dodges it with ease. Hook Foot charges at it and throws a fruit in its face, but all this does is anger it even more. It begins to chase after Hook Foot, but Rapunzel lassos its wings with her hair and Cassandra and Varian each grab onto her hair to help her hold the insect back.

 It begins to chase after Hook Foot, but Rapunzel lassos its wings with her hair and Cassandra and Varian each grab onto her hair to help her hold the insect back

The Firefly growls at them and throws them across the sand, where they collide with Lance and Ruddiger.

"Rapunzel!" Eugene shouts worriedly as they all gather together.

"What are we gonna do? There's no stopping this thing!" Rapunzel says.

"For once, I am completely out of ideas..." Varian admits, as Ruddiger chitters nervously.

They all watch as the Firefly eats a fruit from the Lorbs' crop. As soon as it swallows, a blaze of fire escapes from its mouth.

"Peppers... Mouth on fire..." Rapunzel says aloud to herself, realization striking her. "Wait, it's not evil! It's just eating too many peppers."

"That's some really bad indigestion," Lance says, sounding horrified.

"You think they're really that hot?" Varian asks.

"Oh, I know they are," Rapunzel replies with a grimace as Cassandra chuckles.

     There must be a pretty funny story behind that, Varian thinks.

Rapunzel digs in the sand, and pulls out a handful of blue weeds. "We just have to feed it these stinky weeds!" She announces.

     "Okay... I don't know what that means, but let's do it!" Eugene says as they all jump up.

"I'm just as confused as you are," Varian tells him. He then turns to Rapunzel and asks, "So, how are we supposed to make that thing eat these weeds?"

Pascal glances down at his cape, realizing that it's made of the same weeds. As the Firefly blasts again, creating a wall of fire around his friends, he rushes at the giant insect. Ruddiger reaches out in an attempt to stop him, but the chameleon evades his grasp.

"Pascal! No!" Rapunzel screams worriedly. But before any of them can stop him, the chameleon has already been swallowed up by the Firefly.

Rapunzel falls into Eugene's arms and begins to sob as the others watch on in shock. But soon the Firefly's glowing red abdomen turns blue, and it belches an unconscious Pascal back up, having only consumed his cape.