CHAPTER 29

Emma couldn't believe her misfortune. There was no more denying the truth of her reality. Larissa knew she was Juliet, or at least she suspected it. Her sister may have never come out to say it but, she knew. Emma could tell. She knew Larissa well enough. What Emma didn't know was what her sister would do with the information. Larissa was a dark horse. She could ignore it all and not find Emma worth the trouble. She could also find every opportunity to break Emma.

Emma prayed for the former.

"Are you alright?" asked Linda. A song continued to play, and Emma was grateful for the break it allowed her. She needed to get her breathing in order.

"I'm," she took in a deep breath, "okay."

"No, you're not," grouched Joey. "You're close to having a panic attack."

"Well what do you expect?" she snapped back. "Larissa knows!"

He frowned. "Yes, and we can't do much about that now. What we need to do is move forward with the contest."

Emma stared at him like he'd lost his mind. "How does that help me? If it wasn't for the contest I wouldn't be in this mess."

He scoffed. "Yes, you'd still be limping after Eamon like a sad dog."

"Joey!" admonished Linda.

"Now, it's alright." Emma said with her back straight. "Now I know how you really feel about me."

He dropped his head. "I didn't mean-"

"Which bachelor is first?" she asked Linda.

Linda looked between them with worry. "Jeff," she reminded Emma. "We've organized something for tomorrow."

"What did you organize?"

"You'll have dinner with him and his friends before spending the night at his place."

Emma gulped. She looked at Joey and saw his jaw tick. She was over the whole contest. She just wanted it all to end.

"Looking forward to it," she said instead.

~~***~~

Emma hadn't heard anything from Larissa. She hadn't heard anything from Joey either. She wasn't sure which to be happy about. She couldn't worry too much about it anyway. She had a dinner to attend with Jeff.

"Are you excited?" asked Gina. She lay stuffed under her comforter. Her skin was chilly. It worried Emma. It was too warm outside for Gina to be that cold. Emma sat down beside Gina and reached for her hand. Her skin was translucent, and Emma didn't like seeing so many blue veins along it.

"How are you feeling?" she asked her patient.

Gina scoffed. "I've accepted it. It's about time you and Charles do too."

Emma's eyes watered. "Don't say that."

Gina's smile fell away. She pat Emma's hand. "It's the way of live. You've been amazing to me this past while. I'm grateful."

"Why are talking as though you're dying?"

"Because I am." Emma shook her head. Gina sighed. "I am," she said sternly. "I've come to terms with it. I've lived a happy and full life. You should start doing that too." It was Emma's turn to scoff. "I'm serious. This competition is the most exciting thing to happen to in you six months. You're too young to be this responsible. Go out and have fun. You've got three gorgeous men wanting to be with you. How many women can say they have as many options as you?"

Emma laughed though small tears slipped through. "I'm not sure I want any of them."

"You don't need to want them. You just need to have fun."