[45] Miserable

Making my way down the hall, headed for the kitchen, I stop as I hear voices talking.

"She's miserable. No matter what I do, I can't seem to make her happy," I hear Jex say softly.

"She can't help how she's feeling though. Look I know it's hard to see her like this, but you don't really have a choice," Alyssa replies.

"Alyssa's right man. You just have to ride the wave and you'll come out the other end, sooner or later."

I take a step back, leaning against the wall, as I feel tears welling in my eyes once more. This is exactly what Jex is talking about, I'm miserable. But now I realise I'm bringing him down as well. I head for the bedroom once more, unable to face them and sit on the edge of the bed, looking around the room.

Maybe it would be best if I leave for a while, so I can get my emotions in check without hurting Jex every day.

Jex's POV:

"I know and of course I'm going to ride the wave with her. It just hurts me seeing her so sad all the time. I just want to do something to make her happy. But I can't, because it's not about me. It's not me who's been hurting her, it's her family. I just feel so powerless."

"Maybe it's time to show her that you're serious, that you're not going anywhere," Alyssa raises a brow.

"Again, she's right man. You've had that ring for a while now, yet it's still not on her finger."

"I guess I'm just scared she'll think I'm pushing her, you know. Like I'm trying to compensate for how sad she is and that's not how it is at all."

"Well, I guess if you're not ready, you're not ready. I mean you don't want to tush blindly into it either," Alyssa shrugs.

"Sorry Jex, we're not really any help," Mal adds.

"It's all good. I don't expect you both to have all the answers. But I do appreciate you guys listening," I take a sip of my coffee.

"Does Bella usually sleep this long? I was hoping to see her before we have to leave for our appointment."

Checking the clock I shake my head. "She's usually up by now, I better go and check on her."

"We have to head off now anyway. But tell her we said hello and if she wants to talk she knows she can always call me," Alyssa says, as gives me a hug.

"Thanks, I'll let her know."

"The same applies to you too man. You know that we're always here," Malcolm gives me the bro hand shake/hug.

"Yeah, thanks Mal," I nod.

Once Alyssa and Mal have left, I make my way up the hall and push the bedroom door open. It's there that I find Bella packing some clothes into a bag.

"Are we going somewhere?" I question curiously.

She jumps, placing her hand on her heart and takes a few deep breaths. "You scared me," she places the bag down on the bed. "I ... I wanted to talk to you," she sits down on the edge of the bed.

"Okay, but I really don't think I like where this is going Bella," I make my way into the room and sit down next to her.

"I've decided that I'm going to go away for a little while."

"Go where? And why?" I knit my brows together in confusion.

"All this stuff with my family has been really hard on me. However, what I failed to notice is just how hard this has been on you. I don't want to bring you down Jex, I don't want to make you sad. You're not my keeper. It's not your job to baby sit me; nor is it your job to make sure I'm not going to break down every time something goes wrong."