Chapter two

Elma's POV

It's been days since my brother told me about the landlord coming for his rent and I haven't been able to raise the money. Am sure that anytime from now, he will be knocking on our door demanding for his money. I know how annoying that man can be and he is ruthless. He won't consider my mum's condition and spare us rather he will kick us out to the streets.

I can't bear to see my family and I in that kind of misery. I normally see some people living on the streets. Mostly, people live under the bridge. I can't imagine living that kind of life. I have to do something and fast. Speaking of my father, he is useless. He doesn't care about us. He should be the one having all these thoughts am having. But no, it's the other way round. He would rather spend all his time at the bar and squander all the little money he mange to get from his friends.

"Gosh am tired sis" Christine said sitting down on one of the cape stones lined up by the roadside. We are just coming back from where we went for quick job hunt with other people of this town. We are on our way home. Unfortunately we didn't find any job. We were not lucky enough to get even the smallest job there. We managed to get some money from some people that knew about our mother's condition. I could see that there are still good people in this world.

"Come on Christine, we are only a couple of blocks away from home. We will soon be there" I said feeling week as well but I have to be strong as the eldest.

"What are we going to do now? We haven't gotten half of the money for our house rent" Christian said while joining Christine on the cape stone.

I sighed. "At least we have some money with us. It's better than none"

"It's not up to half!" Christine said angrily. "The way this is going, I don't think we are going to raise the money before that jerk of a landlord come and kick us out. I can't live on the streets"

Christian gasped. "Streets! The sound of it always gives me the creeps. We really have to work hard"

"We are going through all these pressure when we have a father who is supposed to be the bread winner of the family" Christine said in irritation. "Why is he so wicked to us like this?"

"That man is a disgrace to fatherhood. I will never be like him and do that to my family" Christian said.

"Come on guys, no matter what he is still our father" I corrected them. I understand how they feel but nothing can change the fact that he is our father. No body is perfect.

"Father indeed sis. He is an horrible druck for a father. If only one can break up with his father I would have done that long time ago" Christian said with distaste.

"What makes you any better than him Christian?" I asked but he kept silent. "Look, we don't have time to waste on our father. Let's focus on paying the damn rent okay?" There was no response from both of them. I asked again.. " okay??!" "Fine" they both said standing up and we continue our journey home.

I sighed.

"Well well well see who we have here. If it isn't the poorest of the poor in this town." A familiar voice spoke up

"You must be very stupid to call us that you idiot" Christine snapped.

"Ooh! Pls don't be mad, am just greeting you. You should be polite enough to respond" the person said.

"Greeting? You mean insulting. I thought you are among the smart people but no, you are obviously senseless" my brother said.

The person laughs. " Look at you, begger of the family. Think I don't know how you go around begging your mates for money?

Christian clenched his jaw and almost hit him"you- " "Enough Christian" I managed to stop him from letting his temper get the best of him.

"What do you want Steve?" I asked in a gentle tune.

"Well my darling darling Elma" he smirks. "Always beautiful like the morning sun. You would have looked more beautiful if it weren't for those rags you are putting on"

I felt angry after those words came out of his mouth and I could feel the anger of my siblings but I gestured that they leave it and allow me to deal with it. "Why do you find joy in humiliating others?"

He laughs and wipe his shirt feeling himself but I ignored his sauciness. Steve is no lie a very handsome guy. He is tall, almost taller than my brother but muscular. He has green eyes and broad shoulders and pointed nose. I heard he is the center of attraction in this town. Girls fall on his feet. Many even fight over him but I call that stupidity.

I can't see myself with such a man. He disrespects women and he is also mannerless. He is one of the richest man in this small town but I know it's only in this small town. Out there his money is just crap. Even though women throw themselves at him he still chase after me. Even after making it clear to him that I am not interested he still insist on chasing me. He is determined to insult and humiliate me and my family till I accept his advances but I will never stoop so low for a mannerless and disrespectful man like him

"Whatever and however I choose to dress is none of your business. Why can't you leave us the hell alone Steve?" I yelled at him in anger

He smiles and move closer to me. He was so close that it remained an inch between us and he said "I won't leave you until you accept to be my woman"

"She will never be your woman Steve. Never!" My sister snapped out in anger

Steve laughed like an evil master and said to her "we shall see about that puppy" he then looked at me and smiled. He raised my chin with his finger making me look up into his eyes "I am the only man that can bring you out of poverty. Think about it. You and your family will live well if you accept me"

I removed my chin from his hand and look away without looking at him. He laughed and walked away from us.

I sighed and my siblings came to me and hug me. " Elma, don't listen to him. You don't have to listen to him. He is bad man."My sister said with worry filled in her eyes. I hold her hand and look up at her "Don't worry, I won't accept him" "Good" Christian said.

"That man is bad and ruthless. He will do nothing but bad to you and us"

"Come on let's go. Mum will be waiting for us alright?" I said as we continue our journey.

I won't lie but I did had a thought about what Steve said. Right now I could do anything for my family's sake. Anything to end this sufferings. My family is my priority. I could even die for them. That's how important they are to me. We need breakthrough from this poverty. I'll rather be Steve's woman and he will help us out than reject his offer and let my family suffer. My family is a hundred times worth my happiness. Even though Steve disrespects and humiliate women, my family are worth the risk. Life is all about taking risk.

Thanks alot y'all for your time. Next chapter is coming up soon. God bless you my darling readers.