Chapter 50: Dreadful Exposition

News of Riven's capture spread like wildfire across Rosendun. Bards sang of the valiant soldiers who braved death to restore order. Of the great red general who led his front lines with courage, and his trusted lieutenants who led the assault on the towers. But the loudest of praises were heaped on the Great General Leila Lightwood, the shrewd tactical genius who dared Riven's steep cliffs to launch a surprise attack on the drakul king. As the 'supposed' leader of the Hopeful Maggots, it was later revealed that Absalon's guild was a sub-guild of hers. She had coordinated the attack with him in secret so as not to tip off the drakul.

Following the events of that fateful night, waves of change rippled over the country. First and foremost was the new King's strange decision concerning the drakul. Not only did he forgive their crimes, but he urged co-habitation from his countrymen. He refused to give them a separate land of their own, instead insisting that all of Rosendun should live together as one.

The first few days were hard on the drakul, as most men still harbored an intense hatred for their kind. But despite counsels against, King Parissius stood firmly by his decision. However, it has to be said that were it not for the drakul's fierce loyalty and pride, the king's first policy in power may very well have backfired.

Where the other races showed hatred, the drakul emulated kindness. Where the others looked upon them with contempt, they returned acceptance. The drakuls' attitude stemmed from the vow they made to make this work, and while some could argue they weren't actually at fault, the drakuls never brought it up.

Eventually, the Rosens began to feel shame for attacking these prideful race, who refused to stoop to their level. Slowly, but evidently, the attacks ceased. Bards thus lauded the King's decision to stick by his plan, as it would usher in a new age of peace in Rosendun.

Elsewhere, Absalon was promoted to a guest-general of Rosedun's main army with his lieutenants, each commanding sizeable legions.

The relatively unknown guild 'Hopeful Maggots' received plenty of plaudits from the people for their heroic antics behind enemy lines. They were granted a piece of land in Ranad, where a guild home was built in their honor.

It wasn't long till most adventurers under the sun wanted to join the renowned guild. Unfortunately, the maggots' stringent selection process weeded out ninety-five percent of the applicants, until eventually, the clamor for recruitment slowed to acceptable levels.

Meanwhile, under Leila's watchful eyes, Absalon led an army comprised of the Hopeful Maggots and Rosendun's forces on their first real conquest to end civil wars and monster invasions in Rosendun. These troublesome spots had to be cleared before they could say the country was genuinely united under a single flag. Of course, this also meant removing the high-level beasts around the borders to open trade routes with other countries.

This quest filled adventurers with a 'sense of purpose,' which most felt they lacked before. Many decided to join the army's ranks to try and work their way up. Others started actively forming guilds to rival Hopeful Maggots' undisputed control. A few others switched to crafts at the behest of the royal palace, which paid top Syros for well-made works. It was rumored this request for an influx of craftsmen also came from the Hopeful Maggots.

Naturally, for the craftsmen to succeed, gatherers were needed to work the environment and obtain necessary raw materials. And in turn, for the gatherers to achieve success, they needed warriors to clear dangerous beasts from the surroundings. And finally, for the warriors themselves to succeed, it all came back to the excellence of the weapons craftsmen made.

After all, it was soon clear crafted weapons were superior to store-bought stocks.

This rapid increase in activity occurred in less of a fortnight. Rivalries grew, new players flocked to Rosendun, and the economy flourished as a result of the influx of adventurers.